Best way to remove wood grain

Discussion in 'Woodgrain' started by steeldane81, Jul 8, 2011.

1. steeldane81

steeldane81 New Member

Wagon Garage:
    I didn't see one of the topics that covered this so I thought I'd ask. My last wagon didn't have any wood at all, so I'm totally new to the wood grain.

One of the two I'm looking at buying has a LOT of it, and I'd rather remove it and just have paint. What's the best way to remove old wood grain without harming the paint underneath, or making it harder than is necessary?

Also, it's a 1988 Country Squire. The front and rear bumpers have a bunch of that black plastic/rubber on them, and I prefer a clean chrome bumper. Can I just remove the black? I haven't been able to find a picture of how that would look. Or, would it be easier/better looking to just get bumpers from an older model and try to change them out?

2. KevinVarnes

KevinVarnes Well-Known Member

Wagon Garage:
    I've never removed woodgrain myself, but a heat gun is a tool you will need to become familiar with.

For the bumpers, I'm pretty sure you'll have holes behind the rubber bump strips. You can't really put the older style bumpers on (well the rear stayed the old style which looks weird when matched with the newer rounded front end in my opinion) without having it look weird. I supposed you could swap the header panel out to the older style header panel and then use the older bumper. I personally prefer the newer rounded front end to the sharp corners on the older front end.

3. silverfox

silverfox New Member

Wagon Garage:
    There ARE many discussions on the wood removal but may be difficult to find. I will look for some tomorrow. I can tell you that it is not easy to remove and the heavy trim that goes around the outside edges of the wood vinyl is held onto the car by clips that go through the sheet metal. That's a lot of holes. So, you will have to fill the holes and paint the car. You can leave that trim on and paint inside of it and paint the trim itself, but, it will always look wrong IMHO. It will look like what it is.
    I've never seen the covered bumpers with chrome under them. They may exist but I have never seen any. You could paint them, I suppose. I doubt you would find chrome bumpers from other models that would fit properly. I'm not a Ford guy so I could be wrong on some of the issues I mention regarding a Ford wagon.

4. Stormin' Norman

Stormin' Norman Well-Known Member

Wagon Garage:
    I think it depends on how 'cooked' the old stuff is. Mine was in the Mexican sun, sitting for 7 years. I posted this a few years ago, when I started my Roller Paint thread:

Stripping the old stuff:
    http://www.stationwagonforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=708

Doing the new is in here:

Stripped and roller painted:

SNRoller812.jpg

Wood installed:
    SNWooded09.jpg

SNWooded03.jpg

Grille change:
    http://www.stationwagonforums.com/forums/showpost.php?p=98448&postcount=369

PolyStrippa is caustic. One sure way to find out is to not wear rubber gloves. I've got the burn marks to prove it.:evilsmile: One bucket of water to rinse off the car surfaces after scraping it off, and ONE BUCKET for your hands and tools. Get a short stool to sit on or a long, low bench. The knees can't take it. :biglaugh:

5. meulmani

meulmani Well-Known Member

I removed the woodgrain using a heat gun and a lot of patience... Don't make it too hot and not too cold.

6. snooterbuckets

snooterbuckets Well-Known Member

Sounds to me Steeldane, like you should pass on the Squire and keep your eye out for a strippy Crown Vic wagon of that era. They didn't have wood and if I'm not mistaken, the bumper rub strips, (those black things you're referring to), were an option, so you very well may find one just like you want. Most of the time, the Crown Vics weren't nearly as well equipped as the Squires so I'd say you have a pretty good chance of running across one without the rub strips.