Ball joint repair

Discussion in 'General Automotive Tech' started by 12ozMouseBoner, Aug 23, 2018.

1. 12ozMouseBoner

12ozMouseBoner Well-Known Member

hey guys,

Won't be too much longer before i retire the ol' girl.. So today I decided to work on the bronco, I had to take off the steering knuckle that connects to ford's dog shit TTB system. All went well when the time came for me to reassemble the thing, however (as usual) a small little bump in the road is stopping me from completing the job. Flattened starter threads (If that's what they're called), I tried putting on the crown nut, like every my sister, it kept swaying from side to side deciding who to land with tonight. Finally, I seated it just right, i start to wrench and it spins. ffs, Im not replacing this thing, I don't have the money nor do i want to go through the trouble of taking it to a shop, popping the pita out and meticulously pressing it back in.
    Is there a tool that I can use to properly resharpen the flattened threads at the head of the stem? I'm guessing a thread file, but this is at the very head where the groove just starts to shape. Reshaping that might take a little more finesse, or at least I would think so.

2. 12ozMouseBoner

12ozMouseBoner Well-Known Member

btw this is for the upper ball joint

3. Silvertwinkiehobo

Silvertwinkiehobo "Everything that breaks starts with 'F.'"

There's a new tool that just came out, it reportedly will redress the end of a high-strength stud up to 3/4" diameter, but for the life of me, I cannot remember what it's called or where I saw it, but it chucks into a drill. If you want to keep the stud from spinning, though, you have to lift the steering knuckle so that the stud taper snugs up inside the knuckle's tapered hole, providing enough friction to hold it from spinning. This goes for any ball joint.

4. cammerjeff

cammerjeff Longroofs Rule!

5. Grizz

Grizz Are we there yet???

Wagon Garage:
    All that other talk about retiring and your sister is confusing and clouding the water. What’s going on? You can’t thread the nut for the new upper ball joint?! :huh:I’m slow and need clarification. Maybe larger print and pictures

6. Poison_Ivy

Poison_Ivy Dogzilla Fan

Wagon Garage:
    I'm guessing that the cotter pin wasn't removed, before unscrewing the nut. I'd get a small fine triangular file and carefully restore the threads, after prying out what's left of the cotter pin from between the threads with something sharp. You don't want to remove too much material

7. Silvertwinkiehobo

Silvertwinkiehobo "Everything that breaks starts with 'F.'"

Jeff: No, but I see where it can be an ouchie maker. I once cut my finger with a Dremel mounting a steel saw blade. Grabbed the kerf, then rolled right over and cut my finger before my very eyes. I couldn't even think to stop it, it happened so fast. No, the new tool I'm thinking of is a cup shape (like a nutsetter tool) but it cuts the end of any threaded fastener so it has a taper to allow the nut to thread on.