Another 'Inquiring Minds (mine) Want To Know'................

Discussion in 'General Station Wagon Discussions' started by Krash Kadillak, Aug 11, 2018.

1. Krash Kadillak

Krash Kadillak Well-Known Member

Wagon Garage:
    First, some background, to set the question.......

From 1978 through 1981, Ford had a full line of Fairmonts - 2 and 4 door sedans, the sporty Futura Sport Coupe, and wagons, in plain and not-so-plain 'Squire' versions.

For the 1981 model year, the Ford Granada and Mercury Monarch were down-sized and put onto the 'fox' platform shared with the Ford Fairmont and Mercury Zephyr (as well as the Ford Mustang and Mercury Capri). The Monarch was renamed 'Cougar' at the same time. For the first year, there were only 2 and 4 door sedans available.

For the 1982 model year, the station wagon was dropped from the Fairmont and Zephyr model lines, and station wagons were ADDED to the Ford Granada and Mercury Cougar model lines

For the 1983 model year, the Ford Granada line was still on the 'fox' platform, but it was restyled and renamed into the Ford LTD. (Ford's BIG models were now called the Ford LTD Crown Victoria) In the same way, the Mercury Cougar sedan and wagon line was restyled and renamed, into the Mercury Marquis. The BIG Mercury became the Grand Marquis.

(Hopefully, you all are familiar with all this, or at least are following along......)

My question concerns the 1982 Granada station wagon, and the 1982 Mercury Cougar station wagon.

It dawned on me this evening, when I saw a FB post on a station-wagon group page, that I don't think I have ever seen a 1982 Ford Granada station wagon, WITH THE SQUIRE OPTION. Yes, I have seen a number of 'plain' Granada wagons. Some even had 2-tone paint on them.

the Ford Station Wagon brochure for 1982, DOES show a pic, and a description of the 'Squire Option' for the Granada wagon:

[​IMG]

So, my question to you all - Has ANYONE EVER seen a 1982 Ford Granada station wagon, WITH the Squire option?

I did a Google image search for one, and the ONLY images that came up were obviously Ford corporate-generated ones.

The same could hold true to a certain extent for the '82 Cougar station wagon with the 'Villager' option. There is EXACTLY one found on the internet (red in color, with the wood) that does not appear to be a corporate-supplied image.

[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

2. Silvertwinkiehobo

Silvertwinkiehobo "Everything that breaks starts with 'F.'"

I had an '82 Villager wagon for a month or so, when I pulled its "fire-breathing grocery getter" V6 drivetrain and sold it to make some extra scratch; but when I lost my job, I had no way to move it, so it was impounded by my former boss, and I don't know what he did with it. But it was white with medium brown interior, and Squire paneling. Other than the drivetrain (built engine, built C4 and Mustang 8.8" rear), the car was like when it left the factory...nothing had been touched.

3. Poison_Ivy

Poison_Ivy Dogzilla Fan

Wagon Garage:
    That's funny how the guy who fired you couldn't impound his own drivetrain. Serves him right

4. kevdupuis

kevdupuis Membrane

I don't think I've ever seen either in this neck of Ontario even in plain Jane wrappings.