Another 1958 Caballero

Discussion in 'Station Wagon Projects' started by 58Caballero, Jun 2, 2022.

1. 58Caballero

58Caballero In the Shop

Moving this from intro section to here.

Got too many projects already but couldn't resist this one. I've seen the articles/video about the NM found/restored 58 and that's what led me here. This one's been parked like you see it since the late 70's but seems to be in pretty good condition.

IMG_1518.jpg

2. 58Caballero

58Caballero In the Shop

Got her moved. Gonna spend first night outside to allow any unwanted passengers a chance to vacate before going in the shop.

IMG_1527.JPG IMG_1536.JPG IMG_1541.JPG IMG_1542.JPG IMG_1549.JPG IMG_1551.JPG IMG_1552.JPG IMG_1555.JPG IMG_1556.JPG

markfnc likes this.
  3. 58Caballero

58Caballero In the Shop

jmt455 said:
    Welcome aboard, 58Caballero!
    That looks like a very solid car. If mine had looked like that when I found it, I would have got it running safely and drove it!
    If I can provide any suggestions of guidance, please ask.
    Joe

Joe, your AACA video was part of what made me go for it and of course led me to this site. Guess I need to start a new thread but a few quick questions for you or anyone else now.

Your outside rear view mirrors are fender mounted and much more ornate than my single driver's side door mirror - were yours an option/part of a pkg or something else?

Windshield is broken but I've got one on the way. One door window is cracked and others are delaminating. After quick search I found '57 windows but not '58, making me assume they're different? You also commented in the video about rear gate glass being hard to find. I believe I got an extra with this car but haven't looked at it close enough to be sure or to see if badly scuffed/etc.

There's something down low in the right front of the engine compartment with what look like hydraulic or maybe air lines connected to a pull switch under the passenger dash. Switch sort of looks like an add on but unit under hood looks original. And there's an unused groove on crank pulley suggesting something else was there at some point. Did these have an air or hydraulic suspension or something?

Thanks,
    Ed

4. 58Caballero

58Caballero In the Shop

Starting to peel back the layers. Original paint was spray green and hunter green. Pulled out the ratty (literally) carpets and gonna need to do the front floor pans. Haven't gotten to back seats yet. Carb is being rebuilt and all the plugs have been pulled with a little mystery oil added to each to sit for awhile before turning over. Also drained oil (stinky) and pulled filter (nasty).

IMG_1559.JPG IMG_1565.JPG IMG_1566.JPG

5. wagoninsane

wagoninsane Well-Known Member

Wagon Garage:
    AND THE FUN BEGINS!.....Longroofs Rule!

JackWagon and OrthmannJ like this.
  6. 58Caballero

58Caballero In the Shop

Got the carb back from rebuild and hope to try to start later in the week. Was able to turn over the engine with the starter so at least it's not locked up. Had to jump the solenoid after I couldn't get anything out of the accelerator/start so will start trying to chase that down tomorrow.

Is the fuse panel supposed to be mounted upside down under driver's left dash or am I missing something that might allow it to swing down so you can see it?

7. jmt455

jmt455 Well-Known Member

Wagon Garage:
    Yes, there is a clip that releases the fuse block and allows it to pivot downward.
    Scans of the Service Manuals are available on Hometown Buick.
    This is the page that describes the fuse block : https://www.hometownbuick.com/1958-buick-wiring-diagrams/

8. 58Caballero

58Caballero In the Shop

Thanks, figured it must release somehow. Already found the Hometown Buick site (great resource) and have the Chassis, Body and Dynaflow Service Manual on the way. Windshield came in Fri from Auto City Classics but I still need to study their side glass. Firewall tag only has B, F, G, I for ACC codes so the "Air Poise" parts are a mystery.

Thanks for the replies. I'm about 10 pgs into your thread but gotta find me some of those fender mirrors!

9. OrthmannJ

OrthmannJ Always looking for old ford crew cabs

This is a great car. Not going to lie, I'm a little peanut butter and jealous! ;)
    I am really looking forward to seeing your progress as you bring this one back.

58Caballero likes this.
  10. jmt455

jmt455 Well-Known Member

Wagon Garage:
    Ed,
    I sent you a PM about a possible source for the mirrors.
    When you get time, post pictures of the under-dash switch and the engine compartment device you're trying to identify. Somebody might recognize the parts.
    It's possible that the car had air suspension and it was converted to traditional springs; that's what happened to most of them. Apparently, the Air Poise system wasn't very reliable.
    I'm not positive that the body data plate would have had a suspension option code.
    Joe

11. 58Caballero

58Caballero In the Shop

Little more progress today. Got the accelerator/start circuit working but waiting on some of the terminals for the plug that goes to the carb. Not sure exactly what was wrong but tapped on several relays, moved the gear shift lever several times, finally got continuity in neutral (but not park) and jumping the wires got the starter going. During that process the dome and glove box lights also began working! Headlights/dimmer and horns worked right out of the box so slowly starting to come back to life.

Found the engine number and it matches VIN :)!! But with the good, had to come some bad - another patch panel in the spare tire compartment. At least the previous owner left me some ammo!

IMG_1571.jpg

JackWagon likes this.
  12. 58Caballero

58Caballero In the Shop

Thanks, I was just posting above when you posted this. I got your PM and sent him an email. If I don't hear back I'll give him a call. Thanks for that, I'll let you know what I find out.

Pics of the unit as seen from above (radiator to upper left) and pull switch.

IMG_1561.JPG IMG_1572.jpg

13. jmt455

jmt455 Well-Known Member

Wagon Garage:
    Interesting...
    Are those brake lines going to the unit? If yes, it's probably a trailer brake controller for hydraulic brakes.

14. Silvertwinkiehobo

Silvertwinkiehobo "Everything that breaks starts with 'F.'"

Sure looks like it. I vaguely remember a similar unit, although, that was twenty years ago, so I don't remember much, as I didn't deal with it.

15. 60Mercman

60Mercman Well-Known Member

Wagon Garage:
    Maybe he got into the project and decided to keep some ammo in case he found another gremlin. Lol. Really a very nice car.

58Caballero likes this.