96 Roadmaster Tailgate Door

Discussion in 'General Automotive Tech' started by 4oldcars, Dec 23, 2016.

1. 4oldcars

4oldcars New Member

Tailgate door won't swing. Drops fine. Tailgate lock does not work with lock switch on drivers door. Must use key to operate tailgate. I'm old and slow. And new here. Does this sound like electrical problem? I tried to remove the tailgate inner panel (carpet/plastic) and found it is held by more than the peremeter screws. Apparently I'm missing something here. Help.

2. Silvertwinkiehobo

Silvertwinkiehobo "Everything that breaks starts with 'F.'"

I'm thinking mechanical. Is there any resistance when you actuate the tailgate handle for the swing operation?

3. 4oldcars

4oldcars New Member

Handle for swing won't move. Jamed? Linkage? That's what led me to try and remove tailgate door inner liner/panel. Appreciate the response. Thanx.

4. Silvertwinkiehobo

Silvertwinkiehobo "Everything that breaks starts with 'F.'"

Yeah, if it won't move, it appears the panel will have to come off when you drop the tailgate down. The glass won't move once down because of the power interlock; just snap the latches all the way closed to be able to move the glass to access the inside. with the fact the tailgate lock motor doesn't move, it sounds like it is frozen with rust, or the motor linkage is jammed/rusted. Also, if you have a 12 volt test light, with someone's assistance, you can test for power to the lock motor and check the connection to make sure it's not corroded or has loose connections.

5. 1tireman

1tireman Well-Known Member

Wagon Garage:
    The glass raises up on the Roadmaster. I got lucky with mine and all I had to do was drop the gate down, clean and lube the latches on it when it wouldn't work so I never had to remove the panel so sorry can't offer any help removing the panel.

6. 4oldcars

4oldcars New Member

Simple as it sounds, I did NOT clean and lube the latches. Course - - access is limited. Just to eliminate confusion, the glass hatch works, but I have to use the key in the tailgate door.

7. Fred Kiehl

Fred Kiehl Well-Known Member

Wagon Garage:
    You may have an adjustment issue. You could also have a bad lock solenoid. Can you lock and unlock the gate with the lock rod on the passenger's side? There are two rows of tree connectors, one across the bottom, and one in the middle. There are also 4 metal clips, 2 on each end. The metal clips usually pull off of the interior cover, and the tree fasteners usually pull out of the cover as well. Remove the screws along the top before trying to remove anything else. The handles have 2 Phillips head screws each. If the "door" handle pulls up, and nothing happens, it is the cable. If it does not pull up, it can be a number of things. I would have to see it and fiddle around with it to determine the issue.