'95 Caprice Wagon in Northern NJ

Discussion in 'Station Wagon Auctions, Craigs List and Other Stat' started by 81X11, Jan 9, 2017.

Tags:
  1. 81X11

81X11 Well-Known Member

Wagon Garage:
    I'm trying to get my friend Ben to go look at this. He'd really rather have a Buick, but this looks great for the price!

I do wonder if it's a '94 and not a '95. See the door mirrors? :suspect:

https://newjersey.craigslist.org/cto/5929216261.html

Still looks really good!

[​IMG]

-Mike

101Volts and ModelT1 like this.
  2. ModelT1

ModelT1 Still Lost in the 50's

Wagon Garage:
    It's even set up to tow. Looks nice with lots of new parts.

3. 1tireman

1tireman Well-Known Member

Wagon Garage:
    That's a nice looking wagon! Seems to be priced right in my opinion if it's as nice as it appears to be.

4. Glide-Aways

Glide-Aways Well-Known Member

Wagon Garage:
    I'd grab this one in a heart beat, if it wasn't on the wrong coast.

5. 81X11

81X11 Well-Known Member

Wagon Garage:
    OK Ben is going to see the car in person, and I have some more info pics to share.

The GOOD, trans, suspension, exhaust, brakes, wheels/tires, and paint were all recently done. Hot Wheels emblems on the front fenders are funny, and it has an Impala grill.

The Not-So-Good, the car has 190K miles on it, and the interior is a little tired. Pretty well-optioned for a Caprice wagon. From the latest pics I can tell it will need a steering wheel (thinking leather Caprice Classic or possibly Monte Carlo, like the SS guys add), the carpet looks pretty nasty too.

In talking to Ben, if he gets it, does anyone in the northeast have some blue Roadmaster seats to sell? He would also be looking for the Roadmaster cargo panels with the carpet, and would be replacing the floor carpet in the back for sure.

I think if it drives well and the underside isn't too crusty, he's going to buy it. I told Ben about the group and he will be joining if he pulls the trigger.

Here's the newest pics:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

He didn't know to ask about the door mirrors. Looking at the radio and the mirrors, I'd say this is a 94 model wagon. I did tell him all the usual places to check for rust.

Will keep the group updated!

-Mike

ModelT1 likes this.
  6. 81X11

81X11 Well-Known Member

Wagon Garage:
    So just an update, my friend Ben went to see and drive this car yesterday, and is debating about purchasing it.

THE BAD:
    -It's been in NJ since new, and the underside is crusty. Not rotten, he says the frame looks ok, but the floorpans look crusty. There is also some bubbling on one D-piller, which as we all know is common.
    -Underhood has rust here and there but no major holes.
    -The inside is about what you expect on a 190K mile car. Carpet needs replacement, cargo area is a bit rough, steering wheel is warped, one rear door window needs a new roller, and it needs a headliner...usual stuff.

THE QUESTIONABLE:
    -The car was originally a woody. The wood was removed, holes filled and entire car was painted. He says the paint is recent and very decent. The owner said the car has been in his family since new, and when he got it, he kind of got carried away, which leads too.....

THE GOOD:
    HOLY COW the owner has done a LOT of work on this car, on top of the paintwork!
    -Jasper Trans had about 20K miles on it.
    -Opti and Water Pump replaced
    -Bilstein shocks up front, new rear springs and air shocks with shrader valve added, not automatic level anymore.
    -New belts and hoses
    -Trailing Arms are new, front suspension rebuilt, lots done here.
    -New Brakes
    -Custom dual exhaust, Ben says it sounds great.
    -Two seats of wheels and tires (the factory 15-inch wheels with good tires come with the car).
    -K&N FIPK intake, and yes this is a tow-pack car, still has the mechanical fan setup.
    -A/C replaced, including compressor, ect, and heater core done too
    -Window tint all around
    -And ON and ON. There is a lot more done. Seller is a car guy with other toys and said he really got carried away working on this car. He kept finding things that needed done, and he DID them.

SO that's the story. Ben says it runs and drives well, but he had hoped it was a bit faster. I think he'd rather have a Buick and he's concerned about the rust under the car, so he's torn.

I wish he'd taken some pics of the underhood and underside of the car. I could better give my opinion if I'd seen those.

For the amount of work/mods done to this car, I'm thinking he should get it and use it as a toy. Fix the interior and the D-pillar, put a stereo in it, and other tinkering, and just enjoy it. Sounds like a great first wagon to me as long as he doesn't get carried away trying to replace floors and such!

Will keep the group in the loop.

-Mike

101Volts and ModelT1 like this.
  7. ModelT1

ModelT1 Still Lost in the 50's

Wagon Garage:
    Has Ben made an offer the guy can't refuse? Like $2500!!!!!! It's a Chevy. Engines are cheap.