91 Country Squire Yea or Nay

Discussion in 'General Station Wagon Discussions' started by geigs, Jul 7, 2018.

?

Buy

1. Yes

6 vote(s)
    75.0%
  2. No

2 vote(s)
    25.0%
  1. geigs

geigs Member

89D41DB9-1F7C-44B6-A426-89184FE6C9AB.jpeg Hi all,
    I’m looking at possibly purchasing this wagon. The ask is in the three figures. It runs and stops; the interior is in very good shape. The outside has some rust behind the rear wheel wheels, the clearcoat is shot, and the di-noc is blistering. Mechanically, a valve cover gasket, maybe a cam sensor, and the AC needs looking over. From your experience does this look like a money pit or something that can be refurbished without too much outlay? Thanks!

Attached Files:

2. Silvertwinkiehobo

Silvertwinkiehobo "Nothing is foolproof as fools are ingenious."

If I had the money, yes, I would buy it. Parts are still plentiful, there are many choices in wheels including turbines with the Blue Oval center caps, the rust repair, if limited to behind the wheel wells, is fairly easy to do, and the paint and Di-Noc have some expense to them, but they're still very doable. I can't tell from your pics, but what's the interior color?

3. Silvertwinkiehobo

Oh, and BTW, welcome to the forum! If you haven't already, you should go to the introduction section, and introduce yourself.

4. elB

elB Well-Known Member

Wagon Garage:
    For less than $1000, the rust isn't much worse than the one shot, and you can drive it home? Fair price. Whether it becomes a money pit or not depends on what work you can do yourself vs. having it done by someone else and what level of "done" you want it to be.

5. Silvertwinkiehobo

What he said.

6. geigs

geigs Member

As requested. The interior is blue.

Attached Files:

7. geigs

geigs Member

Thanks. Actually I joined several years ago and posted in the introduction section then. But shortly thereafter I purchased a 56 Studebaker, so I’ve been sidelined until now.

8. jaunty75

jaunty75 Middling Member

You mean like in $300 or $600 or something? That's couch-cushion money! What's there to agonize over?
    What's your definition of "refurbished?" That word means different things to different people. What is your definition of "too much outlay?" $500? $5000?

Of course the car will be a money pit! They're all money pits! The cheaper they are when you buy them, the more the money pit they are to own. But you know this going in. That's what this hobby is. No one ever got rich buying an old car for $1,000 and then spending $10,000 to fix it up just so it's worth $5,000 when he goes to sell it. But that's the way it works.

Grizz likes this.
  9. jaunty75

jaunty75 Middling Member

To my mind, the biggest problem with this car is this rust. Rust is the worst. Mechanical parts can be replaced. When they're replaced, they're replaced. But rust is different. Once it starts, and it has started in spades with this car, it's difficult to completely eradicate. And the worst is what you don't see. Have you had a thorough look at the frame of this car? That's what's most important. It's got to be structurally solid, or it's a waste of time and money.

[​IMG]

101Volts and geigs like this.
  10. 101Volts

101Volts Well-Known Member

Wagon Garage:
    Keep in mind this is a 90-91 model; the only two years for seat belts in the middle seat position (and also an air bag for the driver.)

11. Poison_Ivy

Poison_Ivy The crazy kid in the sandbox

What makes it even worse is the attempt to cover rust with Bondo which is like going wild with the credit card, to the point where one purchases all kinds of stuff which are beyond his means. Then, ending up having to pay the tab with extortionate interest. When body work is unprofessionally attempted, as shown, all that Bondo does is to trap salted moisture from getting back out. I voted yes, only because 3 figures were mentioned. But, not which three

12. HotRodRacer

HotRodRacer Well-Known Member

At "three figures", if it is running/driving/stopping good, I'd probably buy it just to go haul parts in. But that's just me, different people have different tolerances for spending "three figures".

Grizz likes this.
  13. 101Volts

101Volts Well-Known Member

Wagon Garage:
    The rust does look severe; I don't think you're going to get it fixed without removing the woodgrain and even if you remove the woodgrain, nobody seems to be offering quarter panels (let alone entire side panels) for 1979-1991 Ford Country Squire/LTD Wagons (or Mercury Grand Marquis Wagons, if those fit.) I'm not sure if you can use a G.M. B Body Wagon panel or not (they seem like they'd fit but I never measured them) and you'd probably need to get something fabricated.

With that said, this at least looks like a great parts car with 90-91 specific parts on it. Anything from the driver's door back is wagon specific (middle glass included.)

90-91 Specific Parts:

Speedometer
    Steering Wheel
    Air Bag Sensor + Wiring
    Middle Seat's 3-Point Seat Belts
    Front Seat Headrests (seats may be 90-91 specific for this, I'm not sure)

Did I miss any other 90-91 specific parts? I should probably mention that if this car has the Insta-Clear (anti-ice) option, it's not a common item and replacing one of those Insta-Clear windshields is not going to be cheap so if you buy this for parts and this car has that option you may want to gently remove the windshield too. I don't expect anyone to drive one of these in winter anymore but it's a good mention.

Last edited: Jul 9, 2018
  14. Krash Kadillak

Krash Kadillak Well-Known Member

Wagon Garage:
    My opinion: Pass.

Save you money for something better.

Fat Tedy likes this.
  15. Poison_Ivy

Poison_Ivy The crazy kid in the sandbox

Oh, don't do that. It's the only thing that's holding the entire car together

Grizz likes this.