90 - Olds $7995. Looks like a good price

Discussion in 'Station Wagon Auctions, Craigs List and Other Stat' started by fasteddie, Nov 23, 2017.

1. fasteddie

fasteddie Well-Known Member

Wagon Garage:
  2. 101Volts

101Volts Well-Known Member

Wagon Garage:
    It does look exceptional:

[​IMG]

Sadly, it's a 90:

[​IMG]

"What could possibly go wrong?" People can get ejected if the door opens in a collision, that's what.

3. fasteddie

fasteddie Well-Known Member

Wagon Garage:
    Can't be that common or they would have been sued into pulling them off the street.

4. 101Volts

101Volts Well-Known Member

Wagon Garage:
    I suppose a lot of people who know these cars and bought them new were not enthused about it. I heard of a few cases where that happened but this seat belt system wasn't just on 1990 B Bodies, it was on a few other G.M. cars for some years after that.

5. Fat Tedy

Fat Tedy Island Red Neck

Notice though..... been how many years now????, since you have seen a production car roll off the line with the eject=omg=matic door mount seat belts.................

101Volts likes this.
  6. sinc76

sinc76 Well-Known Member

Very nice car and nice to see how GM tried out new ways to meet safety standards back in the day. Imagine what happened as late as the early sixties when we didn't even have seat belts. Most likely the amount of miles this car is going to see in the future makes the seat belts not as much of a risk. However good article from the 90's on this very design:

To quote: "In one accident, the petition said, a youngster in a children's seat that was being held by the automatic belt ''swung out like he was on a trapeze'' when the door opened at low speed. The child suffered minor injuries."

http://www.nytimes.com/1990/09/15/style/consumer-s-world-gm-is-challenged-over-seat-belts.html

101Volts likes this.
  7. elB

elB Well-Known Member

Wagon Garage:
    It never even occurred to me to leave the seat belt buckled in and open and close the door when I had my '90. Egads what a horrid design. Almost as annoying as the Nissan\Honda "automatic" seat belts that used to come up and choke you when you turned the car on. Shame people couldn't be bothered to just put the stupid belt on so that the feds had to intervene...

8. Brad

Brad Moderator Staff Member Moderator

Wagon Garage:
    I have no issue with those that wish to not buckle their seat belt, calling it an invasion of privacy or whatever....

My personal opinion is, if they fail to have their seat belt fastened properly, then they forgo all insurance coverage for their injuries. Why should society shoulder the cost of their stupidity?