89 Colony Park Loud Fuel Pump

Discussion in 'Cosmetic & Restoration' started by jase386, Oct 16, 2010.

1. jase386

jase386 Hubcaps RULE!

Wagon Garage:
    I am in the process of re-insulating the cargo area of my 89 Colony Park. Im amazed at how little noise insulation is in the rear of these cars.

Anyway im lining the entire cargo area with Quickroof which is a foil backed butl. Its amazing so far to keep down the reverb of the metal.

One noise that i want to eliminate is the sound of the fuel pump. it makes a humming, hissing noise that i can hear loud and clear at the drivers seat even with all of the rear trim in place. Do any of the other colony park owners have the same complaint?

Im going to double up on the butl strips on the inboard side of the sparetire well, and im thinking about putting a layer on the bottom of the car, but i hate to do that. Any other ideas?

2. Stormin' Norman

Stormin' Norman Well-Known Member

Wagon Garage:
    Maybe the rubber mounting/gasket is dried up? Electric Fuel pumps are always a bit noisy, but the mounts do get hard over time.

3. jase386

jase386 Hubcaps RULE!

Wagon Garage:
    at some point im going to be replacing all of that anyway, so i guess ill just insulate inside as well as i can, and change it when i get to it.

4. Bowser1989

Bowser1989 New Member

No I can hear my pump but only when the car is still when I drive I don't hear it anymore. Mine just sounds like the usual hum.

5. jase386

jase386 Hubcaps RULE!

Wagon Garage:
    got the quickroof in and shes still loud for me. hoping when i get all the trim back in it will muffle it some. Also adding carpet for the cargo area, so that should help some too.

Cant belive ford didnt carpet the cargo areas. well they gave a rug, but carpet would be better.

6. Bowser1989

Bowser1989 New Member

Which cargo area? you mean the whole back or where the way back seats are? Cause both of those for me are carpeted...

7. jase386

jase386 Hubcaps RULE!

Wagon Garage:
    the whole back area. i remember when the car was new it had a rug back there, but not carpet installed. im getting around to putting some in to help quiet down the racket back there.

8. Bowser1989

Bowser1989 New Member

Ok yeah my first wagon had a rug thrown back there but my new one actually has carpeted area so I don't have to roll up the rug to open the back seats. I can take a pic and you can compare it to yours then if I'm not thinking right lol...

9. jase386

jase386 Hubcaps RULE!

Wagon Garage:
    here are two pics so you can see the floor, they are kind of dark, but you get the idea, the trim panels are out and you can see the silver quickroof i put in for the noise insulation. and there is even the damn dog in there for Teddy! [​IMG][​IMG]

Fat Tedy likes this.
  10. snooterbuckets

snooterbuckets Well-Known Member

Jase, yes I can hear the fuel pump on my '87, but for some reason, whenever I turn the radio up, it stops cause I can't hear it anymore!

11. Bowser1989

Bowser1989 New Member

Hey Jase finally got to take some pics of my factory carpeting lol. In the back where the seats are the carpet only covers the bottom not the sides.

Attached Files:

12. 89Mercury

89Mercury Member

Wagon Garage:
    Did you ever figure out how to fix? My 89 colony park does the same thing. The humming noise drives my kids and I crazy.

13. Grizz

Grizz Are we there yet???

Wagon Garage:
    My 87 cp has adjustable air shocks in the back, i believe this is factory, although mine has a valve on the back bumper which I don't think is factory but sure makes it easy to adjust pressure. I can raise or lower the rear end through this valve. I found that with the rear end pumped all the way up I hear a hissing sound every once and a while . If I release some pressure and sink the tail end down the hissing is gone.when flipping through the manual one day I found a diagram showing how to add or remove air from the rear shocks. I think the pump itself is under the left fender. Lemme know if this helps or not

14. MAK

MAK Well-Known Member

Wagon Garage:
    Don't remember the fuel pump being an issue in my 89 CP, and don't notice it all in the 85 Pic of back carpet
    CP Tailgate.jpg

15. Grizz

Grizz Are we there yet???

Wagon Garage:
    I think this is just an opportunity for you to rub that immaculate cp in my face