73 country squire paint

Discussion in 'Cosmetic & Restoration' started by dulcimerbob, Jan 14, 2017.

1. dulcimerbob

dulcimerbob Member

Wagon Garage:
    Thinking of a MAACO job on my wagon. The Wood is in bad shape . Thought I would do away with it ,
    leave the trim and use a contrasting color in the panel. Ideas ? Thanks

2. martyk98

martyk98 Well-Known Member

Wagon Garage:
    I vote no on the contrasting color on the panels. If you are in that mindset, go to your local vinyl wrap shop and see what he can do to replace your "wood". I went on line to a company called Shutterstock. They have a 1000 different patterns of woodgrain and metal decals that the shop can put on your sheet metal and trim. From original to custom, you could really do something special for your wagon and it isn't very expensive. All my trim and panel work was done for less than $800. There's nothing wrong with MAACO as long and you understand "you get what you pay for". A decent paint job will be base coat-clear coat. If they are offering a single stage paint procedure you can expect the finish to start dulling within 2 years.

ModelT1 likes this.
  3. n2fordmuscle

n2fordmuscle Well-Known Member

Wagon Garage:
    Like Marty said, you get what you pay for. My daughter went with a Maaco paint job on her '98 Toyota Corolla, which was fine for a 18 year old and her first car. It had plenty of orange peel, and wasn't all that shiny. You could see flaws. It looked good at a distance. As long as you're not going to be picky about the final product. If you are, their response will be "you get what you pay for". That's exactly what they told us when they gave us our quote.

Also, we took it back twice to have the hood repainted. They obviously didn't prep it right. At least they stood by their warranty. I see you're in Georgia. This was at the Maaco at 3143 Canton Rd in Marietta, in case it matters.

As far as the 2-tone paint, I'm sure Maaco (or any paint shop) will charge a little extra for that. Compare that to the cost for woodgrain vinyl, like Marty was able to get done. I'd do the woodgrain. That's what makes our wagons so distinctive and "cool", IMO. But, it's your wagon. Others have gone with the contrasting color. It can have its advantages, like it might last longer than vinyl woodgrain. Although, a Maaco job may not.

ModelT1 likes this.
  4. charli3

charli3 New Member

Maaco is inexpensive option but remember that you get what you pay for.