'66 Ford wagon tailgate

Discussion in 'General Automotive Tech' started by DeanstuD, Sep 18, 2011.

1. DeanstuD

DeanstuD New Member

'66 Ford wagon tailgate.

I can't get the back door open. Turning the handle does nothing, and I think it may be because the window is not up all the way?

[​IMG]

Hard to see because it is in the shadow, but the widows is down about 2 inches.

So, it does move up or down 1/4" so I was thinking if I could get inside an lube it, it might go the rest of the way.

Can someone give me a play by play on how to get inside the to the mechanism without opening the door?

2. MrMister

MrMister New Member

Wagon Garage:
    Can you take a picture of the door paneling from the inside? I know that on my pontiac wagon there is some vinyl covered metal that are held on by some screws. If you take that off you should be able to get to the crank mechanism.

3. rwilly

rwilly Active Member

Wagon Garage:
    If I'm not mistaken, the door won't open unless the window is all the way down. I don't think you can access the door panel unless the door is open.

4. MrMister

MrMister New Member

Wagon Garage:
    That would be a pretty horrible design if there is no access with the door. What happens when your motor goes out? There is a way, just a matter of finding it.
    If the tailgate opens down and not sideways then there is a flap that comes up over the tailgate panel. Remove that first?

5. 1964countrysedan

1964countrysedan Well-Known Member

Wagon Garage:
    I do not think it will be identical to my 64 but if it is similar you can remove the large interior panel on the gate from the inside with the gate closed. It might not be very comfortable, but I would not have other options on mine. Have you tried forcing the window down?

6. snooterbuckets

snooterbuckets Well-Known Member

It should open as a door regardless of the rear window position. If I'm not mistaken, it won't open as a tailgate unless the window is all the way down.

7. 66 Country Sedan

66 Country Sedan New Member

The Shop Manual describes the emergency tailgate opening procedure. I'll scan the page later this morning
    and edit this post when I get it (the manual's at the shop). I urge anyone, regardless of what wagon
    (or any old car) they own to invest in its Shop Manual, at the very least.
    Parts Books are available on CD, and will save you hundreds in bad purchases due to running
    changes they made, particularly with the Magic Doorgate.

Edit: If the window's moving, you should be able to gently push it down while holding the key switch in the down position.
    If the dash switch works, then have someone engage it while you slowly push down on the glass at the doorgate.
    The motors for the back window become sluggish and are unique motors that don't interchange with door window motors.
    If you still can't get it down, here's the emergency opening procedure from the Shop Manual...

[​IMG]
    Larger

The rollers they speak of look something like this, but I'd try getting the window down before going thru the emergency hassle.

I have my doorgate apart right now, and this is what you'll find when you get the panel cover off. The glass rides up the D-pillar channels
    and the door/gate can't open either way till the window's down and engages a limit switch, below the right handle (under the glass here).
    If your limit switch is working, you'll hear a lght "click" when the window's down to about an inch or so above the gate itself.

Good luck!
    TG

[​IMG]
    Larger

TG

Last edited: Oct 5, 2011
    benadams likes this.
  8. Dr B Smith

Dr B Smith Well-Known Member

Wagon Garage:
    Fantastic DIY help for all of us with the "Magic Door Gate"!!!

Thanks,

Dr B

9. DeanstuD

DeanstuD New Member

Thanks for the pointers. I knew with so many '66 owners showing up lately, that someone would have done it or know how.

I could move it, but I did try to push down/pull up, and I don't get it any farther up or down. I guess I'll try the pull pin technique, but it sounds like it is going to be near impossible looking at those pictures.

10. unkldave

unkldave Cockroach Dave

Wagon Garage:
    Hey! Could you get a couple of pic of the window switch inside the door? I cant get my door open either and have had bad luck finding the switch.

11. the Rev

the Rev senior junior Charter Member

Wagon Garage:
    what??.....you mean my crappy directions were no help??:biglaugh:

and the crappy'r deal with the 60's Fords is that the glass runs in a channel....so if the glass wont go down into the gate...then you cant get the panel off or the door open......Ive taken a can opener to more than one:evilsmile:....(not literally)...but weapon of mass destruction for sure:biglaugh:

12. Guysicard

Guysicard Member

Hi, you wouldn't happen to be able to post that procedure again? the link has gone bad. the 2 wagons I have both have dead rear windows and I can't get the rear panel off to get in at the motors. I have the screws out of the panel, all tat I can see anyway, it just doesn't want to come off with out a fight.

13. Javico

Javico Member

Wagon Garage:
    I own a 1967 Country sedan, and my magic door gate is stuck up. Incredibility, I haven't been able to open the door since I bought it a year ago. Not for lack of trying. I have removed all the back panel screws, but I cant remove it. Tried with keys, the switch, etc... Unsuccessfully, I now this topic was discussed in the forum in the pass, and some one mentioned an that the Shop Manual describes the emergency tailgate opening procedure. Can someone post this procedure? Or assist me through? Nay help will be appreciated.

14. Ak_Eric

Ak_Eric Active Member

Wagon Garage:
    I have a 68 country sedan, and bought the Chilton Repair manual (for 'Full sized Cars 1968-88', which includes mine). If it helps, below is the (relatively short) set of instructions for removing the glass, and electric motor. What none of it says is if the tailgate should be down first. I kind of presume it should. I could find nothing in the manual for an 'emergency tailgate opening procedure'. Which, I would like to know too: The images linked to above no longer seem to be functional.

And to confirm : The door will not open in any form unless the glass is all the way down : The glass physically slides inside the back of the car itself, so it is most impossible to open without it being down.

Tailgate Glass
    1 Remove the tailgate trim panel and watershield
    2 Remove the inner panel lower access cover
    3 Drop the tailgate to the down position and raise the glass until the glass brackets are accessable
    4 Disconnect the negative battery termnial
    5 Drill out the glass bracket rivets with a 1/4" drill bit.
    6 Disconnect the wiring from the window glass defroster grid
    7 Slide the glass from the door.

Tailgate Window Motor
    1 Remove the tailgate trim panel and watershield
    2 Remove the inner panel lower access cover
    3 Disconnect the negative battery cable
    4 Disconnect the wiring at the motor
    5 Remove the convers to access the motor mounting bolts and remove the bolts.

I did find this handy video that really shows a lot of the inner workings too: