64 Falcon 2 door wagon work in progress

Discussion in 'Station Wagon Projects' started by 642dw, Feb 6, 2014.

1. 642dw

642dw New Member

Hello all it has been awhile since I posted about my new project, when I bought this car it was a project that 2 other owners have put time and money into and abandoned it, well being retired and needing something to keep me out of trouble and always liked station wagons I took the challenge on. The car was basically completely stripped down wiring and all, it had all the bodywork done already, no rust as it came from a very dry climate. The car had some desirable features on it and some that came with it such as tubular arms upper and lower and had the Shelby drop done already plus it had been converted over to 5 lug. Included with the car was a set of Scarebird front disc brake conversion assembly and a Crown Vic rear disc brake assembly

The car came with a 66 Mustang A code car with a 289 and toploader 4 speed, in case you dont know what an A code car is it is the higher horsepower engine that came with a 4 barrel carb and yeilded 225 hp. From this car I am using the engine,transmission,radiator,steering column and a few misc. parts. The rest was sold to fund the many items needed to finish wagon.

I started by stripping the greasy grimy engine compartment down to bare metal and then giving it a coat of etching primer then several coats of shiny black paint. Then it was onto the interior and hanging a set of clutch/brake pedals, Mustang stuff did not work for this so off to ebay we went in search of. Then it was time to grind all the floor area to see what lurked beneath, all was good so just a coat of rust preventive stuff was put down.

Next came the installation of steering column out of Mustang, it was not a direct fit had to cut a couple inches off of it and add a slot, then it was time to hook up all the wiring, the old Falcon column was just about the same colors and just one wire difference that would have been okay but the po painted the interior and painted all the old wires so it was a little tough figuring out the colors.

Now it was time to install engine and transmission, after figuring out the wacky engine mounting set up that Ford has for Falcons with goofy offset 3 piece set up, this went fairly easy, had to get a shorter fan spacer as the one from ther Mustang was an 1 1/2" to long. Radiator was a direct bolt in. Since the car was originally a column shift car I had to cut the floor board out and install a shifter hump, always a little scary when you have to cut something out but I spend hours of research and it came out perfect

A lot of time has been spent figuring what parts I had and what parts were needed as the car came with 6 totes of new,old and powder coated parts. Some were right for the car some wouldnt work. After figuring out that I needed a gas tank which can only come from a 64/65 wagon or Ranchero and is not a repopped item, a tail housing for the transmission which is Falcon specific and proved to be hard to find used but could be bought new, some tail lights once again 64/65 wagon or Ranchero specific. Also needed a driveline which I found the correct length was the same as 4 door Maverick and front and rear bumper.

Ebay, Craigslist and swap and forums have been my friends in locating all this stuff as well as Dennis Carpenter and a host of other vendors, I think I am going to have a sticker made up that says EbayInside.

Next it will be onto the brakes, then headliner,paint,wiring to rear of car and whatever curve ball gets thrown at me.

So as it stands at this moment the engine and tranny are in, dash is all put together, floors have sound deadener installed and all parts have been bought. The car may have been abandoned by 2 other people but I will not be the third.

Here are a couple pics, I am not very good about pics but will make an effort to keep up with them

Attached Files:

2. snooterbuckets

snooterbuckets Well-Known Member

Phenomenal job so far, 642. I'd love to see some more pictures. I'm psyched to see you're bringing another Falcon wagon back to life.
    There's a beat up '64 Falcon Squire at a repair garage I go by every morning on my way to work. One of these days, I'm going to stop in and find out the story on it.
    Keep up the good work.

3. jrwscout

jrwscout New Member

Wagon Garage:
    Good job! It's harder to undo what others have done than just starting with an unmolested car. Keep us posted on your progress.

4. RMay

RMay Well-Known Member

Wagon Garage:
    Nice choice on the 2door. Always preferred 2doors over the more doors. My current project is a 66 Malibu Wagon which was only made as a 4door. I have since changed all that with my own 2door re-design. http://www.stationwagonforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=29015
    I like your E-Bay sticker idea. I did something similar with the GM emblems on several of my builds. I had them made with my initials RM instead of GM. People seem to get a kick out of it and they sort of personalize my designs.
    Good luck, be creative and have fun working on your project.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Feb 28, 2015
  5. whiskey runner

whiskey runner Active Member

need to see more!!!! very nice work so far

6. 642dw

642dw New Member

Well here it is several months later and have made some headway on the project

Disc brakes have been installed on all 4 corners and actually work as they should

Interior has all been painted in a dark gray color, had to have the wife make a headliner for it because the one I ordered from ebay wasnt even close to fitting.Made new door panels for it out of the same material used for the headliner.

New gas tank installed with new sending unit, this one had to make me put on my thinking cap as when I tried to start car after installing it the car would not start because it would not pick up fuel from the tank, it would run fine when I put gas in the carb. I ended up putting a gas jug under the tank and ran hose into it and pulled gas just fine that way so I knew that problem was tank related so I pulled the tank and took off sending unit, it ended up being the sock on the end of sending unit was pushed clear on the pipe and not allowing it to pull any fuel.

Then it was on to exterior painting, the car was painted in a garage so I had to wait for right temperatures to paint it and wouldnt you know it on the Oregon coast were temperatures are usually mild it ended up being too warm. Anyhow temps finally came down and I had a chance to squirt some paint on it. This is a base coat clear coat system using Omni brand paint (PPG lower class paint). Yipee now I can start making it resemble a car again.

Enough rambling and I will get to the good stuff the pictures :)

Attached Files:

7. 642dw

642dw New Member

A few more pics because I know we all like pics

Attached Files:

8. whiskey runner

whiskey runner Active Member

nice work..it is looking great... you should give the wife a big kiss..those headliners are a real pain..:)

9. dotcentral

dotcentral Active Member

Doing a good job on it. Looking forward to seeing more progress pics.

10. Unlovedford

Unlovedford New Member

Wagon Garage:
    Nice work!

11. busterwivell

busterwivell Bill, AZ Geezer

Great job!

12. 642dw

642dw New Member

Well have made a little progress, got he bumpers and lights and grill on, made some door panels and covered the sill plates, new window fuzzies and door rubber installed, gauges installed and some tunes put in. The wife made the upholstery for the rear seat and is working on the front buckets.

One step backwards though, 2 speed windshield wiper motor failed not much fun taking it out either sent it in for a rebuild after bench testing it.

Attached Files:

13. ModelT1

ModelT1 Still Lost in the 50's

Wagon Garage:
    :dancing:A lot of nice progress. Lookin good!:yippee:

You don't need wipers. It rarely rains in Oregon!

14. 63Fowagon

63Fowagon Well-Known Member

Wagon Garage:
    Very nice work I'm partial to the old Falcon wagons Had a 62 .

15. Dogfather

Dogfather Retired Medic

Wagon Garage:
    Nice Falcon man looks Great...