62 Pontiac Tempest

Discussion in 'Station Wagon Auctions, Craigs List and Other Stat' started by yellerspirit, Feb 17, 2018.

1. yellerspirit

yellerspirit Well-Known Member

2. cammerjeff

cammerjeff Longroofs Rule!

Interesting car, not my colors though, A/C, power steering, roll down tailgate window. I looks like it is a 1bbl under what ever is covering the carb on the slant 4. Could be a very nice rarely seen car.

3. Poison_Ivy

Poison_Ivy Dogzilla Fan

Wagon Garage:
    If it's a one-barrel, why would Pontiac have mounted it sideways? Wouldn't it make more sense to mount a two-barrel that way?

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

4. cammerjeff

Its Odd they mounted the 1bbls sideways with a bell crank, and the 4bbls Straight without one. I would have thought it would be the other way. I cant seem to find a picture of the Slant 4 4bbl at the moment
    The 66-69 OHC-6's have the 4bbls mounted sideway also.
    [​IMG]

5. Poison_Ivy

Poison_Ivy Dogzilla Fan

Wagon Garage:
    By the 6, it wouldn't make sense to mount the Quadrajet facing either forwards or backwards, otherwise all cylinders couldn't get fed equally. Which was enough of a problem setting it up the way they did, as it was.
    Now that I think of it, the one barrel was probably mounted sideways, because the four barrel would also have been mounted likewise. Otherwise, they would have had to construct entirely different linkages for both

6. cammerjeff

Actually both 4bbl's should be mounted sideways to the cars center, that way the primaries & secondaries are centered on the intake. The way they mounted the 61-63 Slant 4 4bbls both primaries are mounted ahead of the engine centerline, and both secondaries are mounted behind the engine centerline. When the made the OHC-6 they corrected the mounting.

I still don't see why it matter's with a 1bbl? a 2bbl & 4bbl yes. But I never did understand why the rotated the 1bbl's. And as far as throttle linkage goes all the 1bbl's & 4bbl's were different. Heck in 67 only the firbirds had a Chevy style throttle rod set up, they went with a cable on the 68-69 OHC-6's. All the Tempest/Lemans's with the OHC-6 had throttle cables.
    I think they were forced to use the shaft on the 67 Firebirds because of late timing, Pontiac wasn't given a version of the F-body until mid way thru 1965, so it was very short notice in development terms.

7. Poison_Ivy

Poison_Ivy Dogzilla Fan

Wagon Garage:
    Completely different, from the pedal on up?

8. cammerjeff

The Pedals are the same, everything else is different.

9. cammerjeff

Here is a shot of the 4bbl OHC-6 showing the carb set at 90 degree's with the secondaries facing the engine.
    [​IMG]
    this is the best picture of the 4bbl 194 slant 4. You can almost make out that the carb is mounted with the primaries forward and the secondaries rearward.
    [​IMG]
    Finally found a Picture of the 195 4bbl intake showing how the carter carb is mounted. Always wondered if it effected the flow or Air/Fuel ratio between the cylinders.
    [​IMG]

Poison_Ivy likes this.
  10. Poison_Ivy

Poison_Ivy Dogzilla Fan

Wagon Garage:
    Of course. I wonder why they didn't catch this. The 4th cylinder produces the most low end torque, when only the primaries are open and the first cylinder does likewise, when the secondaries perform. That's why they mounted the Quadrajet onto the 6 in the proper direction which wasn't even ideal, without a triple plenum manifold. The slant four getting a double one.
    Theoretically, it's a 389 with dual quads cut in half

[​IMG]

Last edited: Feb 21, 2018