442 Wagon

Discussion in 'Station Wagon Projects' started by VTWAGONLOVER, Jun 16, 2010.

1. VTWAGONLOVER

VTWAGONLOVER Well-Known Member

Wagon Garage:
    I want to start a thread for my 442 wagon. This will hopefully follow the car since I got it and any upgrades/improvements I am making to her...

Here's the pic from the add when I bought her:[​IMG]

Here's the history and information on the car:

1980 Olds 442 Wagon

In 1980, the Olds 442 model returned to its roots as a performance car, as it had a larger 350 V8 engine not available on other Cutlass models. It included W-30 badging on the front fenders, less dramatic graphics, and the car shared identical powertrain (minus the Hurst Shifter) with the '79 H/O. Available only in gold over white or gold over black paint, a total of 886 were built, 540 in black, and 346 in white. The MSRP price of a Cutlass Calais in 1980 was $6,919.57. Option W-30 4-4-2 Appearance and Handling Package cost $1,255.12. This package consisted of: Gold Accent Paint Scheme (Y71), Painted Grille Face, Applique Pillar Molding, Aluminum Sport Wheels, "W-30" Decals on Front Fender, Tail Lamp Bezel and Rear Window Molding to Match Body Color, "442" Emblem on Sail Panel and Deck Lid, Engine 5.7 Liter (350 CID) V8, 4-bbl (L34), Sport Console (D55), Rallye Suspension Package (FE2), Tires P205/70R14 Steel Belted Radial Ply Blackwall with Raised White Letters (QFV) and Digital Clock (UE8). The W-30 4-4-2 option was not available in California. A sample of included options: Interior color - Camel Tan fabric,as well as White Vinyl,(Black could be ordered for Black/Gold cars), Custom Steering Wheel (NK3), Tilt Column (N33), Gauge cluster, AM/FM 8-Track Radio (UM2), Cruise Control (K30), Delay Winshield Wipers (CD4), Tempmatic Air Conditioning (C65), Dual Remote Mirrors, 442 Door Panel Emblems, Rear Window Defogger, 6-Way Power Left Bucket Seat (AC3). The 350,(Vin "R", engine code tag "AR"), 3A heads, 4-bbl M4MC Rochester Carb, 8.5:1 compression, 170 hp@3800 and 275 torque@2000. Turbo-Hydromatic 350 Transmission (Code "LJ", special W-30 application). Code "AB" non-locking 2.73 rear axle. A cross-flow muffler gave a "factory" dual exhaust appearance. The 442 option was not available 1981-1984, but the Hurst/Olds returned for 1983 and 1984.

Oldsmobile never produced a 442 Wagon, but if they had, it would likely have looked like this. This car was stripped and painted the original factory 442 gold and white colors, and features a 1976 350 Olds engine, new Performer cam and intake, Holley Street Avenger carb., new high volume oil pump, double roller timing chain, valve springs, water pump and all new gaskets. The rebuilt TH350 transmission and 2.73 posi rearend are from a '79 Hurst/ Olds. The rebuilt quick-ratio steering box and the larger factory sway bars are from the same car. The bushings were replaced with urethane, and the car has been lowered 2" with Rancho springs and upgraded with new Monroe gas shocks. A brand new 4 core radiator and a transmission cooler were installed, and it has a heavy duty clutch fan along with a thermostatically controlled electric pusher fan. It also has a new A/C compressor and has been switched to 134a. A new headliner, buckets seats and carpet were installed, along with the addition of the correct 442 console and corresponding steering column and guage cluster. The brakes have been completely gone through, W-30 factory wheels were installed, and it has a true dual exhaust with crossover pipe.

This car was build by Randy Jung in Minnesota, who also owned an original white and gold ’79 Hurst Olds. To the best of my knowledge it is the only G-body 442 Wagon in existence!!!

2. snooterbuckets

snooterbuckets Well-Known Member

Yikes, 442, I hope the emergency brake was in good working order seeing as it's parked on such a steep incline!!

3. VTWAGONLOVER

Wagon Garage:
    It's all down hill from here...

I recently had the front end aligned - it either wasn't done when it was lowered, or it wasn't done properly... Either way the front tires were badly worn on the inside, and were due for an upgrade...

Out with the old...
    [​IMG]

And in with the new...

[​IMG]

4. snooterbuckets

snooterbuckets Well-Known Member

I will never understand why tire installers don't take the 5 minutes to wash the blue off from raised white letters and finish the job. When Ford had that recall on the Explorer tires, I tried to institute the policy that whenever we'd replace the tires, we'd wash and then armorall them. It would've been such a nice little touch, but my service dept said no way. Their mistake, for sure.

5. tbirdsps

tbirdsps New Member Charter Member

:biglaugh::biglaugh:It looks like the house may roll down the hill too.:cheers:

6. rancheronut

rancheronut New Member

well from our tire shop .it because they hire young kids to do there tire work and there to lazy to do there job right. they only do enough to get by.
    I have talked to other shops locally and they have the same problem.

cool wagon!

Last edited: Jun 16, 2010
  7. VTWAGONLOVER

Wagon Garage:
    I kinda like the blue stuff... It's like having shiny white sneakers. I'll wash it off before I go too far, but there's something about cleaning that off for me that I like... (I know - I'm very strange...):rofl:

8. dotcentral

dotcentral Active Member

I don't mind the blue either. I know I am not getting a set of tires someone returned. I do insist they remove the sticker from the bottom of the tires.

Nice looking wagon, hope you enjoy it.

9. Stormin' Norman

Stormin' Norman Well-Known Member

Wagon Garage:
    The local yard that has a black/gold version, still had it 3 weeks ago. He can't figure out the immobilizer. ;)

10. VTWAGONLOVER

Wagon Garage:
    Someday...

11. Stormin' Norman

Wagon Garage:
    I've got an idea! If you've got the electrical diags. I could maybe sort it out for the guy, and scrounge a Capri T-top for my wagon. He's a stroke victim, and has no-one to help him out. He's a good guy. Besides, I need a battery-powered Jigsaw!:evilsmile:

12. VTWAGONLOVER

Wagon Garage:
    Unfortunately I don't have any schematics, etc. I'm surprised that there is circuitry for this in a '79 though... It's not fuel injected, so there can't be much of a computer to it... I wonder if it has something aftermarket in it???

13. Stormin' Norman

Wagon Garage:
    The public insurer pays all or half for any vehicle on its 'Most-At-Risk' MAR list. The private companies, registered to do it, are often very good, but some are wire-butchers. Any car, any year.
    http://mpi.mb.ca/english/autotheft/AutoTheft.html

14. Fat Tedy

Fat Tedy Island Red Neck

It's very eazy to get them to wash the blue off.....

Hey, your not done, when your done cleaning the blue off my new tires THEN I'll pay the bill;)

I just love those wheels:dance:. I have a full set, I just need to buy...tires:p
    Untill then my Crewzer will remain kinda old man looking...still have the snow tires and hub caps on it. The ralleys I have, same thing as you, crap tread left but not as bad as that one front tire. It almost has the look of a high speed brake slam.

15. KevinVarnes

KevinVarnes Well-Known Member

Wagon Garage:
    What are your planned improvements/upgrades for the car?