2 door wagons

Discussion in 'General Station Wagon Discussions' started by jreese, Apr 4, 2017.

1. jreese

jreese Member

Does anyone know if Chevy built a 2 door wagon in 1962-1965 on the Chevy II Nova platform? I know Ford built them in the round and square body Falcons, do not believe any 2 doors were built on the Fairlane or Torino platforms and I think Chevy might have built them on the chevelle/Malibu platform. Anyone know for sure?

Thanks. Jim

2. Bad Taten

Bad Taten Well-Known Member

Chevy II 100, 300 and Nova 400 series platforms only list 4 door wagons in their production numbers.

3. Roadking41A

Roadking41A Well-Known Member

I don't remember any 2 door wagons from chevy past 1959 unless they were custom built

WagonKiller likes this.
  4. cammerjeff

cammerjeff Longroofs Rule!

They made 2 door Malibu or chevelle Wagons in the mid 60's, they were not even in the sales brocures if I remember correctly. Most made were base model work types.

5. Krash Kadillak

Krash Kadillak Well-Known Member

Wagon Garage:
    No 2-door Chevy II wagons were built. There were 2-door Chevelle wagons for model years '64 and '65.

You will find pics on the internet of custom-built 2-door Chevy Ii wagons that look like the factory did them. The way the pillars are structured in the Chevy II make it relatively easy for a skilled fabricator to move the 'B' pillar rearwards and install the longer 2-door doors from a sedan or hardtop.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Grizz and Roadking41A like this.
  6. RMay

RMay Well-Known Member

Wagon Garage:
    I was told some information a few years ago during a visit to the GM Heritage Center.
    GM had always built some utility type 2door Wagons (some known as Sedan Delivery, Handyman and also an option in the 150 and 210 series Wagons). They felt there might be a market for a more Family oriented and sporty 2door Wagon, so along came the Tri-Five Nomad and Pontiac Safari models. Ironically back then the 2door Nomads were not only their lowest production runs but also became very low in sales. Families seemed to prefer the 4door models. Today a Tri-Five Nomad in any condition commands a pretty big price. GM went back to the lower priced Yeoman 1291 model and the Brookwood 1215 models for the 2door Wagon option until the 1960 model year.
    The idea of a 2door Wagon came up again and in 1964 and 1965 when GM offered a 2door in both the Malibu and 300 series Chevelle models. Once again they found that they were not selling to their expectations so in 1966 they went back to only 4door Wagons for all their product lines. GM never did produce a 2dr Wagon in the smaller Nova line.
    Personally I like 2door Wagons. I once owned a 55 Handyman, and my 56 ElCamino conversion started out as a 2door 210 series Wagon. Slowly I have been working on 2 different 2door Wagon conversions. Most of my fabrication work is done on a 1966 Malibu that will be my vision of a never built 1966 Nomad and I have accumulated the necessary parts and have been making design changes to my model for a 2010 Camaro (Nomaro) Wagon conversion.

scan0038.jpg 393789_4088425441984_342859300_n.jpg DSC00118.JPG DSC00010.JPG

Smee78, Steve-E-D, Poison_Ivy and 3 others like this.
  7. Grizz

Grizz Are we there yet???

Wagon Garage:
    To me a wagon with 2 doors is kind of self defeating. you got all this extra space buuuuut it's difficult to acccess.I personally am not afraid to say I like a lot of 4 door vehicles. Why pay extra for 2 doors when you can get 4 for half the price?!?! That being said...style is everything...I do drive my kids in the 87 colony park over my wife's 08 Camry any day, all day, and it ain't for the gas mileage!!!

8. ModelT1

ModelT1 Still Lost in the 50's

Wagon Garage:
    Except for a few antique cars, all I ever drove were two doors until my 2004 Dodge quad cab. Even my early pick up trucks were Supercab models.
    I liked and still like the looks of most any 2-door sedan. Besides I felt safer with rugrats in the back seat.
    Now I drive a 4-door Impala and actually like it for hauling other adults around in. At my mature age and shape I don't have to get out to let anyone else in or out.
    Yet since my love is for Tri-Five Chevy's I still prefer a 2-door.............................. But! I think a '56 or '57 Chevy 4-door hard top is beautiful.
    Came that close to owning a '56 4-dr HT at a swap meet. Ended up buying my own '55 wagon back.
    In reality any 4-dr wagon is more practical. :huh:

Poison_Ivy likes this.
  9. Silvertwinkiehobo

Silvertwinkiehobo "Everything that breaks starts with 'F.'"

Much as I see the utility of a four-door, I am a child of two-door cars, and at 6'6" I need the bigger door. And frankly, a family in a two door car really is no big deal; Dad established rules for getting in and out of the car, and enforced them rigidly.

Smee78 and ModelT1 like this.
  10. Krash Kadillak

Krash Kadillak Well-Known Member

Wagon Garage:
    The cars of my youth were all 2-doors. My first 4-door was the '69 Thunderbird I bought in 1974 or '75. I got to like the convenience of a 4-door - not having your passengers crawl into the back seat and feel all scrunched up.

ModelT1 likes this.
  11. Silvertwinkiehobo

Silvertwinkiehobo "Everything that breaks starts with 'F.'"

With Mom, Dad and five kids in a '66 VW Cabrio, rules were militarily enforced. And a back seat, whether on a 2 or 4 door, is the same size, so if the kids are squished, it's because there's too many kids back there, or the snarky kids play the "Squash you in the turn" game.

Smee78 likes this.
  12. WagonKiller

WagonKiller Well-Known Member

Sure they did. Till 1980 Vega Monza platform cars.

Roadking41A likes this.
  13. Roadking41A

Roadking41A Well-Known Member

I forgot about the Vega's. My dad had a 75 Pontiac Astre Wagon. I hate to say in stock form they didn't offer much

14. RMay

RMay Well-Known Member

Wagon Garage:
    My Camaro concept 2 door wagon conversion (The Nomaro) if finally on the road. Still have some items to complete but at least I can enjoy the ride while I get things done.

DSC01127.JPG

Smee78, Steve-E-D and ModelT1 like this.
  15. Grizz

Grizz Are we there yet???

Wagon Garage:
    Wow! Nice collection you have indeed! What's next on the list for the nomaro? We all think the custom job is tops but next to your other cars it's rather hard to notice. have you got any custom paint plans in the future? Although the color it is now looks good and does make it look like just rolled out of the factory.

ModelT1 likes this.