1996 Buick Roadmaster LT1 355 Project - Need Some Help/Advice!

Discussion in 'General Station Wagon Discussions' started by UrbanPhil, Aug 5, 2018.

1. UrbanPhil

UrbanPhil Member

Hi all,

My '96 RMW has been up on rollers since December while the LT1 was being reincarnated as a 355. (bored .030, new cam/pistons/180cc Dart aluminum heads etc) I'm almost done, and eager to get this beast back on the road, but getting bogged down by the details. I could use a little help from the community (both advice and tracking down the remaining parts) Any help would be appreciated! Here's what I need:

1. Does anyone know where to find the inner fender splash guards? (pic below) Mine fell apart during the process of detailing the engine compartment. The compartment looks beautiful; can't put these ratty splash guards back in there. New ones would be great, but very good condition used guards would work too.

2. This car was missing the plastic part (shroud?) that connects the top of the radiator to the cross beam at the front of the engine compartment. I'm not sure what it looked like to begin with. I included a picture of what I think might be the part. Can anyone verify that? Or shoot me a picture of what its supposed to look like? If anyone has the correct part for sale, I will buy it from you.

3. Radiator--Given the extra power/heat, I need something better than the chintzy radiator currently installed in the car. I think I need something like a 4-core radiator with the trans cooler in it. Any suggestions on manufacturers/models?

4. Headers--This is the biggest question at this point. Someone told me 1 3/4-inch "Tri-Y" style headers are the way to go. If there's a way to do this without buying new cats that would be great. (i.e. bolt up to the existing cats) I'm just not finding much info on header applications for this car/engine combo. Please advise.

5. Torque Converter--I'm staying with the existing 4L60E transmission for now. My aim is to make the car as streetable/driveable as possible given the setup (I'm not taking this car to the strip etc). I need to verify the rear-end gearing (I think its 2.56...is that the standard, non-tow package gearing?) I would welcome any suggestions on an appropriate TC/stall number.

I think that's all for now (still the programming to contend with, but that's for another day) Thanks in advance for your help! Best,

Phil

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Fullsizelover likes this.
  2. Krash Kadillak

Krash Kadillak Well-Known Member

Wagon Garage:
    No particular help from me personally, but I know where you can get some....
    1. Impala SS Forum - It's SPECIFICALLY devoted to the '91 - '96 B-bodies. Quite a few members with engine mods, too.
    https://www.impalassforum.com/

2. Texas Mike (aka '81 X 11' here......)
    He's got a '96 RMW and has quite a knowledge base in his head. I'll PM him on FB for him to drop in here.....

Good luck - should be a great machine once done!
    Marshall

3. BrianandaPTCruiser

BrianandaPTCruiser Member

That is gonna be a big surprise for a lot of "sport car" drivers!

4. UrbanPhil

UrbanPhil Member

LOL...yeah, this thing should be able to eat most mustangs for breakfast. The question is, can I keep it sleepy enough to sneak up on them?

Thanks Marshall...I'll spend some time on the Impala Forum. Looks like there's a lot of good information there.

UPDATE: As to question #1 (the splash aprons/dust shields) I found them here: https://www.rubbertherightway.com/ (thanks to the folks on the longroof forum)

5. Grizz

Grizz Are we there yet???

Wagon Garage:
    Yeah wait till mike sees this. Can you say “impala wheels?”

6. Fullsizelover

Fullsizelover Active Member

Wagon Garage:
    Pretty sure you can find part 1-3 on scrap yards, for part 4-5 you can check impalaforums they have a lot of info.
    Had a 96 Impala for 4 years, best car I had after which I bought the cruiser.
    Don't forget to reflash your PCM-you can also have better shift points as it controls the automatic.
    I know you want to keep it stock, but the handling is soooo much better with Eibach springs and 17 inch or bigger wheels..

7. 59 wagon man

59 wagon man Well-Known Member

Wagon Garage:
    gmlongroofs is a site dedicated to that body style

8. UrbanPhil

UrbanPhil Member

Thanks, I'm on the longroofs forum too...just casting a wide net. I found parts 1 & 2 thanks to other thread members. I found a radiator place locally that should be able to supply something decent. I'm looking at this this torque converter to be paired with 3.73 gears (per the recommendation of one of the techs at comp cams):

http://www.tciauto.com/tc/breakaway...0e-1997-05-4l60e-c5-corvette-lock-up-6514html

I definitely need to reprogram the PCM, but I want to get the gearing etc. straightened out first. I'm thinking of doing something with the wheels too, but that'll probably have to wait until next year.