1987 Pontiac safari roof liners (front and rear) and rear trim clips

Discussion in 'Cosmetic & Restoration' started by InuYasha86000, Jan 15, 2017.

1. InuYasha86000

InuYasha86000 Member

Got a question about roof liners for a 1987 Pontiac safari wagon. it's a project that is very slow to get off the ground but I know i'll need these some day. I have the rear liner pad with the fabric on it mostly still however the edges of the board I believe are "chipped" and somewhat damaged, is there a way to either repair that and re apply the fabric to the board or is there somewhere that you can buy the boards pre apholstered?

Also, in replacing my rear speakers in my 1986 Pontiac Parisienne wagon I ended up breaking at least one (if not two) of the clips that hold the metal trim piece on above the opening for the rear tail gate, I doubt that GM would still sell these but for obvious reasons I do kinda need them.

Also, for those who are wondering, The speakers I put in were Boss speakers 100 watts RMS through Walmart.com, They actually have what I like to call "The Station Wagon Kit" for speakers: https://www.walmart.com/ip/2-NEW-BO...2-CH4620-4x6-400W-Car-Audio-Speakers/40594864 They sell them separately as well, the only modification I had to do was indent behind where the speakers go as GM moulded the interior sheet metal to barely fit the tiny magnets from the stock speakers.

2. joe_padavano

joe_padavano Well-Known Member

Wagon Garage:
    You can repair the headliner board with fiberglass. The trim clips have been unavailable for about a decade. SOMETIMES the trim clip vendors at swap meets will have a few of them, but that's hit-or-miss. Search on the part number molded into the back of the clip. I've seen NOS ones on ebay occasionally, but these are also few and far between.

3. Fat Tedy

Fat Tedy Island Red Neck

You may end up with a hit and miss (most likely a miss) trying to reapply the fabric as from factory it will have that thin layer of foam that will stay stuck to the liner panel and not the material. I tried on the front section of my full size 87 Buick. Removed the dome light sprayed adhesive in and it looked great....... for about a week and fell down again.

Krash around the same time as did a headliner in my driveway took his wagon to a shop, paid not much but a bit more than I shade tree did and his job looks factory awesome.

"If" you wanting to do it yourself, just my 2 bits but have a shop do it if you want the original foam backed material as the way I see it you may not have ANY forgivness if you "oops", that foam liner will stay stuck if you have to peal up a adjust.

Yes I'll agree fully that fiberglass will repair the panel. I chose 2 part epoxy and nashua tape ( aluminum tape) to repair where the sun visors had broken the original panel, still holding strong 6 years later...........

The "ugh" you are up against if you do it yourself, I did mine in denim for my 82 Olds.............

That foam is EVIL! You can also see the broken corners

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

All of what I used.......

[​IMG]

4. InuYasha86000

InuYasha86000 Member

I guess your boards are backwards compared to the pontiac, it looks like the short board is the rear board for yours where as for mine it's the front.

5. Fat Tedy

Fat Tedy Island Red Neck

The pics you see are from the mid size 80's GM wagons, my full size Buick has the same panels as your Pontiac, pics were just for some reference, the entire concept is the same

6. Krash Kadillak

Krash Kadillak Well-Known Member

Wagon Garage:
    As Tedy said, I took mine to an auto upholstery shop. I had just acquired the 'Way-Back Machine', and having no prior experience with auto upholstery work of any kind, I didn't want to do this job on a trial-and-error basis while it was sitting in my driveway in the middle of winter. The only thing I missed was, I forgot to ask the shop to do the sun visors at the same time....

before:
    [​IMG]

after:
    [​IMG]

The job was $420 or so...... and that was for the front AND back by the way.

7. InuYasha86000

InuYasha86000 Member

wow, that's a beautiful job, your interior looks a LOT better than mine, even the plastic panels everywhere look good.