8 Cylinder
Vehicle:
BUICK|INVICTA
  1. tfvesquire

tfvesquire Active Member

Wagon Garage:
    tfvesquire submitted a new Garage Item:

1986 Buick Le sabre

Read more about this garage item here...

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 9, 2015
  2. tfvesquire

tfvesquire Active Member

Wagon Garage:
    I have to resurrect this thread because even after I spent a boat load of energy and time rebuilding my dad's 86 Lesabre Wagon 7 years ago, we are back to it looking like a POS with all the woodgrain peeled off, rust starting to creep along the door edges and lower fenders, front bumper fillers cracked, front seat broken, wiring deteriorating, AC system shot, heater core leaking, engine hard to start....should I go on??

Flash forward to the present and dad wants another Buick to replace this ailing legend, but tells me, "if you can find another wagon, I'm just saying, I'd like to get it." After answering a ton of local ads (not going to do a road trip for this ever again!!) for Lesabres, Park Avenues and Electras ranging from 1995 thru 2005, I stumbled across this 1986 (seriously!!) Electra Estate Wagon that was being used by a movie crew as a background vehicle during shoots. Same dark sapphire blue with dark blue interior. The owner bought it from an old man whose wife passed away and apparently it was her car. Always garaged kept and after looking it over, I was blown away that there was no rust, just some surface rust on a couple of the door jambs. The entire drivers side did not have even one door ding. However, on the passenger side, it looks like someone dropped something on the top of the RH fender. Minor scratch that has surface rust only so my plan is to have my PDR guy pop it back smooth and then touch up the paint.

The right rear quarter has a few dents and creases though. Looks like someone either backed into something or someone got too close and brushed the quarter. The woodgrain (original) is still intact so I'm going to try out my hammer and dolly skills to smooth it out as best as I can. There are only two pieces of woodgrain trim missing on the bottom of each quarter (which I just so happen to have tucked away from my last resto) The rear tailgate looks untouched. The stainless trim doesn't have any dents or dings just needs to be polished.

As for the interior, for a 30 year old vehicle I was expecting it to be worn and the drivers seat to be threadbare and the bottom cushion to be flattened to a pulp. NOTHING!!. Not a stain, tear, not a burn mark, not a crack in the dash. Wow. The only things I need to do to the inside are to fix the power door locks (probably a fuse), replace the headliner (already bought the replacement material). reattach the rear view mirror and thoroughly clean the seats, carpets and windows. Man, even the AC still blows cold. Haven't checked the stereo, but that is an easy swap if needed.

The engine bay looks tidy, but will need some cleaning. One sensor (I believe the engine temp sensor) is broken off, the carb probably needs to be rebuilt and will need new valve cover gaskets. The CEL light is on but I haven't run the codes yet. The engine starts and runs smoothly. No drips or leaks while it ran. I drove it around the lot and it shifted fine. There is no trailer hitch, so I'm sure the transmission has led a pampered life compared to being used to haul a trailer up and down hills. Even the automatic rear leveling system works.

I will need to replace the typical wear items: bumper fillers, tires and brakes. I plan on swapping those from his current wagon since he recently put new tires and had the front brakes redone. Depending on the corroded mounting bolts I will try and swap out the bumper fillers since they are the same color. I will post some photos after I pick it up this Saturday as is and after I work some magic. If I can get the rear quarter reasonably smooth so I don't have to repair it and re-decal it this will be my find of the century for my dad. Replacing the front and rear headliners will instantly transform the interior and make it brand new again.

Almost forgot, I need to locate a replacement fender turn signal indicator housing for the driver side. I think I located one, but if anyone happens to have one in dark blue metallic please contact me.

Like they say, "Just when I thought I was finished they pull me back in..."

Ted