1980 Mercedes

Discussion in 'Station Wagon Auctions, Craigs List and Other Stat' started by jwdtenn, May 19, 2019.

1. jwdtenn

jwdtenn Well-Known Member

2. Poison_Ivy

Poison_Ivy Dogzilla Fan

Wagon Garage:
    I had the honor of sitting behind the wheel of a V-8 U.S.-spec version of this sedan, on a test drive. Despite the low for domestic fuel compression, it hauled arse. I'll take the styling of one of these against anything built by them today. Still, three and a half grand is too much for something on its last leg, IMHO

[​IMG]

3. cammerjeff

cammerjeff Longroofs Rule!

I understand what you are saying, seeing that the car has 255,000+ Miles on it. And everything will need an overhaul soon, engine, trans, axle, suspension, and probably brakes.

But as it is in Texas the body should be solid, and a Bucket seat, manual trans Merc wagon is a very rare car in the US. If I was looking for one I would probably jump on this one for that price.

Even if it is a pretty base model Euro Spec car. Strange to see a Merc with Cloth seats, and Manual Windows and door locks in the US.

4. Poison_Ivy

Poison_Ivy Dogzilla Fan

Wagon Garage:
    Well, it does have power door locks, according to the ad. The bucket seats aeren't rare. A Mercedes with a front bench seat would be. Good luck finding one of those.
    Being a taxi cab issue, the power gadgets are missing. That would be one of my incentives for buying it and Mercedes is known for being generous with supplying replacement parts for older vehicles. I would still consult a dealership, regarding parts availability, before going for it. If parts indeed have become scarce or stocks depleted, I'd first try to find a rust bucket of that vintage with much lower milage, as an organ donor, since what you'd be buying is essentially a rust-free(?) body, except for what looks like that surface rust below that door hinge