1980-1990 Full Size GM Wagon Rear Bumper Filler Color

Discussion in 'Cosmetic & Restoration' started by smparr, Oct 7, 2020.

1. smparr

smparr Member

Wagon Garage:
    Does anyone have a paint code for the brown woodgrain panel bumper fillers for the 1980-90 GM Full Size boxy wagon rear bumpers? Nothing in the shop manual for my 1990 Olds Custom Cruiser gives a code for that shade of brown.

2. Twohundred

Twohundred Active Member

Wagon Garage:
    Did you find a new filler? Does it fit good? If so from where and price?

3. smparr

smparr Member

Wagon Garage:
    Not yet, but there are some out there. Replica Plastics and Accutrim Parts are two I know sell them. I just don't know what shade of brown to paint them when I get them.

4. Krash Kadillak

Krash Kadillak Well-Known Member

Wagon Garage:
    The Replica Plastics rear fillers are junk. Cheap fiberglas that doesn't really fit. I'd see what that Accutrim company has......

Gregpenn likes this.
  5. smparr

smparr Member

Wagon Garage:
    Thanks for the heads up. Did you already try the Replica Plastics ones?

6. Krash Kadillak

Krash Kadillak Well-Known Member

Wagon Garage:
    (Sorry for the delay....)

Well, yes...and no.
    I ordered a rear set for the wagon pictured to the left, and got the parts - flimsy Fiberglas. No instructions. I primed and painted them, with what I thought was the correct white color. Not even a close match. Came out more white-beige-ish. That wasn't the big problem though. The end pieces fit....somewhat, could probably make them work with a little trimming here and there. The main center piece though, I couldn't even figure out which way it went. Didn't look anything like the original, which attaches to the bumper bar via a retainer strip from underneath. (The end fillers attach to the car body.)

I DID figure out a cheap way to replace the center filler though. You buy some aluminum 'U' shaped channel, with the inside being about 1/2" deep. The 'channel' will fit some flexible rubber baseboard molding material, which is pretty cheap. The rubber molding is your center filler. You cut it to shape. you attach the 'U' channel to the underside of the bumper bar - near the edge closest to the car body, 'U' channel facing forward. The back edge of the molding sits in the channel. The front edge just sits on top of the body panel there, and you stick it down with some automotive double-sided molding tape. Because the rear bumper has a slight curve to it, it might be easier to cut the U channel into two pieces - one left, one right. You can probably use some of that same double-sided tape to attach the channel to the bumper.

Twohundred likes this.
  7. Twohundred

Twohundred Active Member

Wagon Garage:
    Hi mate. Thanks for the update. I'm not picturing your description though. Is it possible you could post some picturs? Of the shitty Replica Plastics (that were not plastic but fibre glas!) and your invention?
    I have been thinking of actually fabricate the filler from a regular thin steel plate and then paint it accordingly. I'm guessing it will be cheap and a better fit.