1979 Pontiac Phoenix LJ

Discussion in 'Car & Truck Talk' started by jwdtenn, Sep 20, 2017.

1. jwdtenn

jwdtenn Well-Known Member

2. cammerjeff

cammerjeff Longroofs Rule!

Impressive stock condition, always loved the grand prix style interior's of the phoenix models, always hated the heavy looking front end treatment on them. But I would drive that example! Price is out of my wallets range, but really is not that unreasonable for the cars original condition.

3. 81X11

81X11 Well-Known Member

Wagon Garage:
    That's one of the nicest Novas I've ever seen

4. jaunty75

jaunty75 Middling Member

The price is VERY unreasonable, regardless of condition. As we've said a million times on here, condition alone does not determine value. There are three legs to that stool: condition, rarity, and, most importantly, desirability. People have to want the car. This car has the first two legs of the stool in place just fine. It's in great condition, and it's not a common car now. But they're not high on the collectibility list (as 81X11's somewhat disparaging comment indicates), so that third leg is missing. This car is worth maybe $4000 to $5000.

5. cammerjeff

cammerjeff Longroofs Rule!

I am not arguing with you, but try and find another one at the $4000-5000 price you quoted 2-door with a V8, stock unmodified, and in that condition.
    If I were looking for one of those (and I am not) I would seriously consider paying $10,000-11,000 for that one compared to spending $2000-3000 for one that needs rust repair, paint, and interior work, that could easily top the asking price of that car.
    I realized when I posted that it might get some flack, but it is just M/O worth about as much as anyone else's. The seller is not going to get any where near the almost $14,000.00 they are asking, but I think $7000-10,000 is reachable to the correct buyer.
    But point taken that there really is not much of a market for any of the Nova Clones, and if your car is a 73-79 Ventura, Apallo, or Omega good luck selling it at all. Heck even Nova's newer than 1972 have a built in price drop.

6. jaunty75

jaunty75 Middling Member

But you have just made my point! You are not looking for one of these. Join the club. No one is! That's why it's not worth $14,000. Condition, rarity, desirability. It has the first two in spades but the third one not at all. Now I'm not saying there's not someone out there who lost his virginity in the back seat of one of these and wants one for nostalgia's sake. But there's maybe one or two people for whom this is true. For the rest of us, I'm going to pause for quite a while before I shell out that kind of money, or anything close to it, for this car.

7. jwdtenn

jwdtenn Well-Known Member

It's extremely nice, but unless you just have to have one, the price is out there. Would be a good candidate for the Pontiac museum, though.

[​IMG]