1978 Country Squire Interior Panel

Discussion in 'General Station Wagon Discussions' started by Teedawg, Mar 8, 2018.

1. Teedawg

Teedawg New Member

View attachment 58596
    My CS is totally cherry except for the left rear plastic panel. Previous owner mounted a fire extinguisher to it and caused it to crack too badly to repair.
    Anyone have or know where I might scrounge one up? Color isn't important, as I can have it painted to match.

2. Silvertwinkiehobo

Silvertwinkiehobo "Everything that breaks starts with 'F.'"

Actually, you might be able to repair it. As a mechanic, I've had to deal with the heartburn of accidentally breaking a trim panel on a customer's car. the major pieces that are cracked, they can be held together on the backside by heat welding (an old but still usable soldering gun works well for this). Just make sure the crack surfaces are properly matched and fully butted together before applying the heat to the plastic. Then, any mounting holes can be filled by buying a bottle of Testor's liquid plastic cement (clear like water, comes in a bottle), and taking a piece of scrap trim, shaving it down with a knife into a glass jar, then pouring just enough Testor's in to begin melting the plastic down. It'll take from several hours to a couple days for it to do so, but once it's all melted, it should be a 'glop' that can be manipulated, in this case, applied to the mounting holes to fill them in. Once the solvents have evaporated, you can carve or sand the area, then paint the panel to hide the color differences.

3. Teedawg

Teedawg New Member

Hey, thanks for the suggestion.
    That will probably be my last resort.
    It is torn up pretty bad.
    I know there are some out there. I just hope someone reading this might have one or point me in the right direction..
    T