1977 Astre Formula

Discussion in 'Car & Truck Talk' started by cammerjeff, Mar 24, 2017.

1. cammerjeff

cammerjeff Longroofs Rule!

Very nice survivor of a rare and little know 70's "performance" car. I own a similar car, same color but my car does not have the odd optional hood decal this one does. This car is way over priced, and this car is very base model, standard interior, no A/C or power brakes.
    Also this is a High Altitude county car and so has the Vega 2.3 SOHC engine. The standard engine on a 77 Astre Hatch Back or Wagon was the 2.5 Iron Duke, but it was unavailable in CA or High Altitude counties. Or it could be deleted for a credit.
    This car has most but not all the things that are supposed to be standard with the formula Package. It is missing the Formula Steering wheel, but it is possible that the original owner (like the person that ordered my car) did not know the Formula steering wheel standard, and paid $7 to delete it for a Custom Cushion steering wheel.

These cars Handle well, brake good and drive very nice. But in stock form they need about 100 more HP to be considered fun to drive. That is why my car now has a 215 Buick V8 under the hood.

http://www.2040-cars.com/pontiac/Fi...nal-53812-original-miles-not-firebird-304979/

[​IMG][​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

ModelT1 likes this.
  2. Silvertwinkiehobo

Silvertwinkiehobo "Everything that breaks starts with 'F.'"

I haven't seen you post up lately about your Astre. Is the swap complete? Is the car roadworthy? Inquiring minds want to know.

3. cammerjeff

cammerjeff Longroofs Rule!

Andrew, unfortunately time and age are keeping me from working on the car, I did get the rear axle and suspension changed over last fall, just so I could move the car. The engine is complete, broken in and dyno tested. And test fit into the car. I am going to have to modify the engine mount pads a bit. That is when the fire next door happened and all my free time was taken up with repairing our house, and going thru all the water damage to my garage. That is now sorted out, and I just haven't gotten the ambition yet to even finish the cam shaft (world longest camshaft change) in my 78 Catalina Safari.
    My wife expects it to be ready for Dog vacation in May, so I have to get moving on it soon.

4. Silvertwinkiehobo

Silvertwinkiehobo "Everything that breaks starts with 'F.'"

Oh, yeah, I forgot about the fire and water intrusion. And after all that, you've still accomplished more than I have. Hell, rain keeps me from working on my rigs. So i'll keep a 'weather eye' out for your thread again.