1976 OldsMobile Cutlass Supreme

Discussion in 'Car & Truck Talk' started by jwdtenn, Apr 15, 2019.

1. jwdtenn

jwdtenn Well-Known Member

2. jaunty75

jaunty75 Middling Member

It needs some work here and there, but it looks like a pretty nice car. The car is just rough enough that the 22,000 could easily be 122,000.

Power windows and locks, A/C, AM/FM radio, tilt wheel (but no cruise), power seat. It's a four-door, and that will diminish its attractiveness, but somebody could have fun with this. I always liked the front ends of the '76 and '77 Cutlasses, when they went away from the single, round headlight on each side for '73 through '75 to the quad rectangular lights on these cars.

3. cammerjeff

cammerjeff Longroofs Rule!

If it had the Salon option with the bucket seats & center console I could go for it. I always liked those, probably because they are odd for an American car of the era.
    [​IMG]

4. jwdtenn

I've corresponded by email with the seller. This Olds has serious problems. Here is the story.

This is an interesting rare car with only 21,083 original miles on it… it was literally driven by a Little Old Lady…my Grandmother.

At age 70, she bought it new and drove only during the day for a few years to church, grocery store, and doctor. At 80, she stopped driving due to cataracts and from that point, she was chauffeured by others in their cars.

In 1984, the car had @19,000 miles on it… which I know for sure. After begging my Grandmother, she let me use the car to take my family to Gatlinburg on vacation. After 1990, when the last “Wheel Tax” sticker was purchased for the car (see windshield picture), apparently she gave up on ever driving it again.

For many years, the family kept suggesting that she sell the car but as it sometimes goes with older folks, she saw it as part of her independence and emphatically wanted to keep it. She passed in 2008 at age 104.

The car was mostly stored in a covered garage, until her condo was sold in 2012. After that, it was stored outside at a relative’s house until it was given to me in late 2018.

Unfortunately, time was not kind to the car having been exposed to the elements for so long. The exterior was in poor condition with paint deterioration and rust in places. Although there was also some rust and mold on the inside, the seats and interior held up well.

Noted was a less than perfect re-paint job which appeared to be quite old… possibly done due to excessive “car washes”. There appears to be an amateur dent repair to the rear passenger side door, under the handle, where a dent puller was used. It’s the only place I can find any sign of “Bondo”.

Before driving it, I started with a cursory clean-up inside and out, to evaluate the cars true condition. It was lubed, the gas, engine oil, transmission fluid and radiator were drained and then refilled with new. Needed hoses and filters were also replaced.

Following recommended procedures for a long-term stored vehicle, we fired it up and to my surprise, it ran quite well. Knowing that the car was viable, I had it towed to a friend’s garage where we continued to clean it up inside and out… as best could be.

The ignition switch was unjammed, the windshield was replaced, paint was buffed, and a handful of hickory nut and small passenger side dents were removed by a Professional Dent Doctor. As you’ll see in the pictures, the chrome cleaned up nicely with just chrome polish… the Phoenix had Arisen!

Feeling confident that the beast was somewhat road worthy, I took it on a 12-mile back road “test drive” where it performed well for a 43-year-old car. I even got it up to 47 MPH until the speedometer cable broke.

Overall condition is very good!

It drives, changes gear, and stops however, here’s a few problems:

Paint has stains and is rough in several places

Air conditioning

Heater core (bypassed)

Speedometer/odometer (cable broke during test drive)

Electric Windows

Electric seat adjuster

Tail lights

Radio

Left turn signal

Cracked left tail light lens

Vinyl top

5. moparandfomoco

moparandfomoco Well-Known Member

If you were handy and got the car fairly cheap, you would do a little weekend tinkering and make this a nice cruiser.

Looks like at least he gave the cleaning his best old college try, compared to some of the ratty stuff we see here.

Two things that would drive me nuts would be the heater core(depending on where it is) and the power windows. I wonder though, what kind of condition the weatherstripping/window seals are in.

6. 60Mercman

60Mercman Well-Known Member

Wagon Garage:
    Sounds like a lot of tinkering for $4,200. This poor car kinda fell through the cracks. Somebody should have insisted that it got sold in 2012, rather than leaving a pristine car out for 6 years. Also noticed the vinyl top pulling away at the back. I hope it finds a good home. It deserves better then what it’s had.

7. Silvertwinkiehobo

Silvertwinkiehobo "Everything that breaks starts with 'F.'"

Heater core's under the hood, but those Cutlasses, it was a bit of a chore to do it, but ultimately worth it. I, however, would like to know where he got the $4200 price vs. its problems. To me, with what it needs, I'd call it a $2500 car unless he can provide some provenance on the tax stickers for the mileage.

8. jwdtenn

Agree a price reduction needed given the number or problems.

9. jwdtenn

10. cammerjeff

The seller is now in the reasonable for condition price range, you could probably own it for $2500

11. 60Mercman

Wagon Garage:
    Yeah I bet if you waived $25 C notes under this guys nose he’d snap it up.

12. jwdtenn

13. 60Mercman

Wagon Garage:
    Hmmm wonder what he did to it that brings it to $6 grand vs $2,900? Sure looks $3,000 better than when it was a Tennessee resident. He’s done wonders cleaning it up and fixing the top and all.

14. jaunty75

jaunty75 Middling Member

It looks like $6000 is the asking price, but it apparently will be offered at auction on August 31 if it hasn't sold before then. At least, that's how I read his ad. The $6K is a "buy it now" price.

15. cammerjeff

Its only about 45 minutes from my house now, amazing.