1974 Oldsmobile Toronado

Discussion in 'Car & Truck Talk' started by jaunty75, Sep 20, 2021.

1. jaunty75

jaunty75 Middling Member

I'm posting this only because I like the sellers marketing approach. "Discounted" 1974 Oldsmobile Toronado.

Discounted from what? From a higher price he had in a previous ad? From his idea of what a car like this should fetch?

His $7000 asking price is not unreasonable, especially given the low mileage (35,000). But it's certainly not a discount. But the word does get your attention.

His photos are so-so at best. We don't even get a full front view of the car, nor one of the engine compartment.

How about vacuuming the front carpet before taking photos, and what is that thing on the floor where the hump would be? Looks like some kind of portable heater? He says the AC works.

I don't think those wheelcovers are original. I don't think Olds ever offered spinner wheelcovers on a second-generation Toro or on any Toro for that matter.

https://boston.craigslist.org/gbs/cto/d/hudson-discounted-1974-oldsmobile/7382928912.html

00A0A_4Wec4nTnvrTz_0CI0t2_1200x900.jpg
    00404_7xbbwh45csgz_0CI0t2_1200x900.jpg

2. 60Mercman

60Mercman Well-Known Member

Wagon Garage:
    Yeah bet that’s some sort of fan on the hump. Maybe he didn’t vacuum, cause that thing is in the way. With the arm rest wear, and the tear in the driver seat. 35,000 miles doesn’t quite smell right. With the crazy prices cars are bringing, I think sellers are getting lazy. Why put $1.50 in quarters in to a car wash vacuum, when you just pull a number out of your arm pit, and someone might take the bait.

Last edited: Sep 21, 2021
  3. Krash Kadillak

Krash Kadillak Well-Known Member

Wagon Garage:
    1.'Spinner' wheel covers certainly didn't come from the factory. Looks to be an owner modification.

2. If those are 35k 'original' miles, they weren't necessarily well cared-for miles. Previous owner(s) were most likely better owners for the car than THIS seller is..... This guy is just a flipper. Can Car Fax do aa printout on a '74? I'd certainly run a history on the car, if I could.

3. I'm amazed at the number of people who post a vehicle ad and don't even bother to clean up the vehicle first. If you're trying to get rid of a $500 beater, fine - but for a vehicle that you want $7,000 for? Tells you one thing right away about this seller - he's LAZY.

4. jaunty75

jaunty75 Middling Member

No. Carfax only works with the current, modern, 17-digit VINs, which didn't come into use until the early 1980s (1981, I believe).

5. ArnieM888

ArnieM888 Well-Known Member

I am sure that car has 135,000 miles on it .... not the 35,000 advertised.

But that is not bad on a Toronado .... they often go to 200,000 miles no problem .... and that exact powertrain is used in the GM motorhomes and I have seen them well over 200,000 .

Wheel covers are original but somebody added those silly spinners to the center.

Wheel covers on the Toronado and Eldorado are unique ... the front drive axle stance is wider than most cars so the rims are reverse-offset and the protruding hub requires a deep-dish hubcap.

That white thing on the floor looks like one of those powered air fresheners .... car must have some odor issues or mouse droppings or mould.