1974 Impala wagon

Discussion in 'Station Wagon Auctions, Craigs List and Other Stat' started by wagon1, Mar 25, 2017.

1. wagon1

wagon1 Active Member

2. jaunty75

jaunty75 Middling Member

Really? This is all it needs to be "showroom?" Repaint, fix the upholstery, and more weatherstripping?

What about the cargo area?

[​IMG]

and the rear trim?

[​IMG]

and the fact that the seats not only need reupholstering, but the front doesn't match the back?

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

and the damaged front end trim.

[​IMG]

He's right. It's only inches away from being showroom.

This is not a $5000 car. $1500 to $2000 is more like it.

3. jwdtenn

jwdtenn Well-Known Member

Leaves much to be desired.

4. WagonKiller

WagonKiller Well-Known Member

Actually if not an underside rot box that's at LEAST a $3500 derby shell. The holy grail of clamshell's

5. amx

amx Member

Wow!! I really must be missing something here. Solid 106,000 mile original that needs a rear trim piece, seats recovered, front filler replaced, rear cargo area cleaned up and a few other misc. things. The replies it sounds like it needs to be junked or good only for a derby car. Reading the original ad I don't see it saying "It's only inches away from being showroom".
    Definitely won't be posting a picture of any of my vehicles here.

6. jaunty75

jaunty75 Middling Member

He didn't say the exact words "inches away from showroom." But his words IMPLIED this.

"Minor" rust spots. "a little more" weatherstripping. His words make it sound a like a Saturday afternoon's work is all it takes to make it showroom.

MY point was that it needs A LOT MORE than these minor-sounding things before it comes anywhere near "showroom," and if I were him, I wouldn't use the word "showroom" and this car in the same sentence. It may have potential at $1500, but it ain't anywhere near showroom, and it's nowhere near a $5,000 car.

Yes, we can be a little nasty on here when it comes to some of these car ads. It's usually well-deserved. We're no different than a group of guys sitting around the table at McDonald's, sipping coffee, and reading through cars-for-sale ads and talking about them. There's no law against being critical of ads. We praise them as well, when warranted.

197019701970 and WagonKiller like this.
  7. jaunty75

jaunty75 Middling Member

Is this supposed to be some sort of great loss to us?

I see you have exactly one post in this forum. You need to understand something. We didn't criticize the guy's CAR. We criticized the guy's AD for the car. There's a huge difference.

We like to see forum members' cars no matter what the condition.

101Volts and WagonKiller like this.
  8. moparandfomoco

moparandfomoco Well-Known Member

Is this supposed to be some sort of great loss to us?

I see you have exactly one post in this forum. You need to understand something. We didn't criticize the guy's CAR. We criticized the guy's AD for the car. There's a huge difference.

We like to see forum members' cars no matter what the condition.

Ouch. No wonder why a lot of young people aren't getting into this hobby. We pretty much told this guy to "Get off my lawn".

It is a great loss to us, really. That's one more guy that will never give a rat's ass about us when HE finds something. Everyone was a newbie once.

But to an extent, he's right. The car isn't exactly a shitbox. It can be repaired, and yes, its probably a $3000. car, tops.

1baker11 likes this.
  9. amx

amx Member

So you read his ad and then determine what is "Implied" by the seller? From this you then decide that he means that a Saturday afternoon of work is all it needs? Sounds like you're putting words in his mouth or comments in his ad that don't exist.

By the way, you did actually criticize the car picking it apart and pointing out everything wrong with it.

And as far as your comment "Is this suppose to be some sort of great loss to us". Really?? Way to make enthusiasts feel welcome.

1baker11 likes this.
  10. fasteddie

fasteddie Well-Known Member

Wagon Garage:
    The car looks ok. If you had $4k in cash and trailer it might be yours. Not bad for a clamshell in any condition from what I read here in general (not a clamshell guy but I can appeciate them).

One thing kind of gets me and you see it here from time to time (and I bought a one-owner car today with a similar issue) - how do you get two different upholstery patterns in here? Third row is pleather, first two appear to be the same cloth. Both sides of the third row are the same so one side didn't get damaged and replaced. someone replaced the first two rows with non-matching material! Or, possible they 'upgraded' the 3rd seat from a wreck? Would anyone have bothered?

What leads people to do this? Price of pleather back in 1982? Who really cared if it was ripped? How many have you seen ripped!

11. wagoninsane

wagoninsane Well-Known Member

Wagon Garage:
    Come on guys, let's all take a chill pill!.... By the way,I would like to welcome AMX to the forums.Welcome AMX! Longroofs Rule!

12. wagon1

wagon1 Active Member

I'd presume the front seat is from a sedan. It looks as though it's just the front that is cloth vs the 2nd and 3rd row vinyl. As for the reason, when the vinyl is ripped, it gets really uncomfortable to sit on especially when the foam starts shredding and sticks to your clothes.

13. woodywagonman

woodywagonman Well-Known Member

Wagon Garage:
    Looks like it was once a vinyl top wagon. I see the molding present.

14. 101Volts

101Volts Well-Known Member

Wagon Garage:
    When I went to see a 1996 Roadmaster in 2013 or 2014 the owner didn't know what he had; the tire well rusted out, the spare wasn't inflated, the hood release cable was on the outside of the car (that he knew about as he got it "repaired" cheaply) and the paint had been blasted by the sun from a lack of maintenance. That's not even talking about the interior which was a long way from stock and the whole thing looked like a sub $900 car. My reason for saying this is perhaps this seller assumes the Impala needs a lot less work than it really does and I feel like you're talking about the same thing. He's correct on "You'd need to do this and this" but yeah, long way to go and I wonder what Larry Kosilla the Porsche detailer (I might as well be that microscopic since we're talking about showroom condition here) would say about correcting whatever paint issues this Impala may have.

15. jwdtenn

jwdtenn Well-Known Member

Agreed. This is supposed to be a fun forum.

101Volts and 197019701970 like this.