1974 Chevrolet Caprice Estate

Discussion in 'Station Wagon Auctions, Craigs List and Other Stat' started by jwdtenn, Jul 3, 2017.

1. jaunty75

jaunty75 Middling Member

In all the photos he posts of the front part of the car, not one is from a high-enough angle to see the hood. You can see a very small portion of the hood (and why is it not closed all the way?) in the first photo here, and from what we can see, it does not bode well for the rest of the hood nor the rest of the top surfaces of the car as we can't see the roof in any of his photos, either.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

With all the photos he posts, the impression is that he's done a good job of showing it, and you might not think about what's not actually shown. Deceitful on his part not to show the full car, and, despite how nice the car's interior is, it's not worth more than about $3000 to $4000.

101Volts likes this.
  2. 101Volts

101Volts Well-Known Member

Wagon Garage:
    I didn't notice that, thanks. $2,000, IMHO. BTW, remember the 73 Pontiac another member here has? He's had to do so much to it and why the heck was the gas gauge wire on it disconnected and coiled up above the tank? So many mysteries with used cars like these.

elB likes this.
  3. KevinVarnes

KevinVarnes Well-Known Member

Wagon Garage:
    No engine pictures either (always a pet peeve of mine but probably nobody else).

4. Poison_Ivy

Poison_Ivy Dogzilla Fan

Wagon Garage:
    Did it ever dawn on you guys that he might be a Dwarf? Maybe, even in black and white, wearing vintage baby clothing?

101Volts and millsy like this.
  5. ken1939

ken1939 Well-Known Member

I agree, is clean in a lot of the right places, optioned like the one we had, although our color scheme was much better. Bronze Metallic with a Black Interior was the bomb. Will wait and see I recon.

6. Jofo

Jofo Active Member

7. jwdtenn

jwdtenn Well-Known Member

Really the only way to go with this Caprice would be an in-person inspection. Understand that most would not have that option ($$$$ and time). I think that it is worth something and should not be a derby victim, due to the very rarity of these at this point, especially high options examples like this. But beyond, buyer beware and do your due diligence.

101Volts likes this.
  8. ken1939

Based on reviews of the sellers, it looks like you not only need to do that on the spot inspection, but if you do make a sale, get the title and bill of sale and get it out of there asap.

9. ken1939

I asked for and got additional photos of the wagon. Really to many to post on the site. The hood has been replaced with another but not sure its fitting right. There is a hole in the top of the driver side fender. Under the hood is average, and not as bad as I expected. New master cylinder and booster. The frame and underneath look pretty clean, being out west I can understand that. Yes the spare tire well appears to be the worst spot on the underside of the car. Rear gate well looks pretty good. All the bumper filler is crap.

Having said that there is a rust line along the rear window on the passenger side and it appears to be slightly perforated, so my expectations are more rust. Based on the condition of the rear quarter nydoc I expect the rust travels right down. Minor surface rust on the roof and near the gutters which is not another shocker. Lower doors look pretty good, although I saw a rust spot on the passenger side door top near the fender. Again makes senses. Our rust was always on the lower doors. Mainly outside. I would expect more surface rust or growth on the driver side door as well.

The dents on the rear gate did not worry me nor the replaced hood. The rust is more of a concern especially under the rear side windows. Still is solid, would take some work to get it back to snuff. Would be a good car to do a color change on due to the paint work needed. Most of the nydoc looks good accept for the spare tire side where its not. Replacing it all to match makes the most sense, but we know the rarity of 74 CE woodgrain.

Long way to go for such a project. He quoted me shipping to places in my area but as I said before it would be safer as a cash and carry deal.

I think it has a good bit of potential but not at that price. 74s are not really available, and it's one of those I am afraid to buy as I think I can find a better one. Where however is the answer and no, I do not plan on spending $25K for one either. Its a Chevy Wagon, not a 32 Ford.

So that's the report :)

10. jwdtenn

How much does someone want one of these? Clearly it can be restored, but it will cost.

11. jwdtenn

12. sinc76

sinc76 Well-Known Member

If the current eBay pictures are of the car with the supposed replacement hood, there's definitely something fishy. How could you possibly find a replacement hood with almost the same amount of surface rust as the fender and front header panel? The wagon probably has a lot of rust on the hood and top of the fenders which is why the Seller isn't showing clear pictures of the area. I've seen the major rust that happens on the top of some of the older cars from near the ocean and it can be unbelievably bad. Still this might be a nice wagon for someone as long as they inspect it in person and see how bad the rust really is.

capricehood.jpg capricefender.jpg

13. ken1939

Here is a shot of the new hood 051.JPG

14. Poison_Ivy

Poison_Ivy Dogzilla Fan

Wagon Garage:
    Last edited: Apr 28, 2018
  15. 101Volts

101Volts Well-Known Member

Wagon Garage:
    Well now maybe we know why he didn't show the photo before; 3 or maybe 4 holes in the driver fender. Copy the image into a photo program and zoom in to see there the smaller ones are.