1973 Ford Mustang conv

Discussion in 'Car & Truck Talk' started by jwdtenn, May 19, 2019.

1. jwdtenn

jwdtenn Well-Known Member

2. 60Mercman

60Mercman Well-Known Member

Wagon Garage:
    No AC. Knob on the wheel makes me wonder if there is power steering. Those are not the original back seats and the new carpet is too light. Don’t think Ford called that “Carolina” Blue. Not getting a good feeling bout this one.

Last edited: May 20, 2019
  3. Poison_Ivy

Poison_Ivy Dogzilla Fan

Wagon Garage:
    Neither do I. First of all, it looks like a re-paint. Secondly, who would order black seats on a girl's car? For that price, the vehicle seems much to dodgy

[​IMG]

4. 60Mercman

Wagon Garage:
    Well if the door panels are “original” it would have had a totally black interior including the carpet. Not sure about that steering wheel as well. Probably would have been the black straight across wheel. My issue with any car is when the owner keeps insisting, and touting its originality, when clearly they are either knowingly lying, or they just think you’re stupid. And why are you showing us your insurance info.

Last edited: May 20, 2019
  5. Poison_Ivy

Poison_Ivy Dogzilla Fan

Wagon Garage:
    Probably, to show everybody the VIN, if it's even genuine to the car

6. jwdtenn

jwdtenn Well-Known Member

Looks like it does have AC.

[​IMG]

7. 60Mercman

Wagon Garage:
    Oh I stand corrected. I just saw the temperature line at the bottom. I didn’t expand the pic close enough. Still not sure I would plunk down a ton of scratch for this little guy. Also the fact he didn’t mention it. I would have listed “her” options. A/C certainly makes it more desirable. I’m still also curious why a new steering column. I would have liked more history on the car, other than what fat Duce was doing to the Mustang line in the early ‘70s.

Last edited: May 21, 2019
  8. Poison_Ivy

Poison_Ivy Dogzilla Fan

Wagon Garage:
    That's all we get to see. If there's even a frozen up compressor, under the hood, it's still left up to one's imagination

60Mercman likes this.
  9. cammerjeff

cammerjeff Longroofs Rule!

The A/C Compressor is hooked up, it is a lot of $$$ for this car, not the most popular year, and the color is not that great IMO.
    [​IMG]

10. Jairus

Jairus Well-Known Member

Wagon Garage:
    It's not a bad deal actually.
    Out of my price range tho and the steering wheel was most likely changed out because the rim-blow steering wheel had gone bad leaving no way to use the horn. And the steering wheel show was a 1966 Mustang option. All "rim-blow" wheels go bad over time leaving owners to unplug the horns.
    I had two Mustangs that had them and neither one ever had a horn that worked.

One of my cars was this:
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

It was an all numbers matching survivor. I bought it in 1998 for seven grand and sold it in 2007 for twice that!
    10 years later I was watching other Mach's and convertibles going for $20,000.
    So they do appreciate due to the rarity of running examples. (Lots in garages all over the country not running being used for stacking boxes on tho.)

That convertible is pretty nice if you ask me. I'd lose the knob and look for the correct front seats, but... all in all a nice car.
    Oh... I'd also dump that crappy 2bbl carb and change out the manifold to a correct 4bbl with an Edelbrock hiding under the stock aircleaner if it was my car.

11. Jairus

Jairus Well-Known Member

Wagon Garage:
    Edit:
    Power Windows were an option on all Mustangs 1971 - 73.
    It was standard when the power top retract option was chosen. Just for your information.

12. 60Mercman

Wagon Garage:
    You had mentioned a “rim blow” wheel. I know on The bigger Fords of that generation that wheel was usually used in conjunction with cruise. My ‘72 LTD has the rim blow with Cruise. I know optional wood wheels were available on Mustang and Fairlane models in the mid to late 60’s, but I wouldn’t have guessed this Mustang came with cruise, or a rim blow wheel originally. Perhaps it did. I know it was a $34.50 option in ‘73, but you sure didn’t see that many of them. I would also assume although available, leather wrapped wheels were even less common. Didn’t see cruise as an option, or power seats for that matter.