1973 Dodge W300 Power Wagon Adventurer

Discussion in 'Car & Truck Talk' started by jwdtenn, Mar 24, 2019.

1. jwdtenn

jwdtenn Well-Known Member

2. Silvertwinkiehobo

Silvertwinkiehobo "Everything that breaks starts with 'F.'"

Nice as it looks, I dunno why, but I smell a rat. Can't put my finger on it.

3. OrthmannJ

OrthmannJ Always looking for old ford crew cabs

I like this truck a lot. But I do not believe it was born this way. I may be incorrect, but I do not think it was possible to order a truck with this configuration in 1973. I believe you could get a 3/4 ton short bed 4X4 or a 1 ton long bed 2wd dually, but not a 1 ton 4X4 long bed dually.
    My suspicion is that this truck has been converted in some way from it's factory original form.

Last edited: Mar 25, 2019
  4. Silvertwinkiehobo

Silvertwinkiehobo "Everything that breaks starts with 'F.'"

Exactly my line of thinking. I do not ever remember any crew-cab dually truck that was 4WD. I'm not saying there weren't any, but I am saying that the crew cab duallys I did see were all 2WD.

5. OrthmannJ

I am not an expert, so I did do some looking around on the inner webs and I have not been able to find anything showing a 4X4 dually crew cab available for 73.
    All of the info I have been able to find shows them in 2wd. I even came across a Dodge brochure geared specifically toward campers and the W300 long wheel base crew cab is listed and shows dual rear wheels as an option, but nowhere does it show four wheel drive as an option.

6. jwdtenn

jwdtenn Well-Known Member

Here's one that looks more late '70s. Of course, it may not be factory original either.

[​IMG]

7. OrthmannJ

This looks like it has had quite a bit of work done to it, including the rear fenders.

As I said earlier, I am not an expert on these trucks. I am much more familiar with the FORD trucks of this era.
    Many FORD trucks from this time period have been modified as well. Here's an example: it is a well established fact that FORD did not build a 1 ton 4wd crew cab long bed (dually or single rear wheel) until production of the new for 1980 body style began.
    However, you can on a regular basis, find pre -1980 1 ton 4wd crew cab long bed trucks for sale. All of these trucks have been converted from 2wd to 4wd or in some cases short bed 3/4 ton 4X4's have had their frames lengthened to accept an 8' bed.

All of this is to illustrate the point that just because examples can be found now, it doesn't necessarily mean that thy were born that way.