1973 country squire

Discussion in 'Station Wagon Projects' started by Irishwagon, Dec 31, 2010.

1. Irishwagon

Irishwagon New Member

I got this car for a few hundred bucks because everyone thinks its so ugly .but i think its a cool ride because you dont see very many of these anymore ... and my wife hates it !!

the car is in very good shape inside and out . im thinking of taking the woodgain and molding off ,lowering a little puting 18 wheels on it ,tinting the windows but not sure about the roof rake yet keeping it or take it off .

tell me what yea think ?? thanks Darrell

Attached Files:

2. moparjohn

moparjohn Active Member

Nice wagon, I'm partail to the woodgrain myself, but to each his own. Yes they are shunded by some, but I don't care, some of my friends did not like mine either, untill 5 of us with a cart and beer cooler could ride together for Carlisle, hmmm- he John-starting to like your wagon! They have all the benifits of a full size car, plus muscle to move. Rims and tires will totally change the way your wagon looks, start there! MPJ

3. Irishwagon

Irishwagon New Member

John im kinda up in the air on the wood but i like a clean look ..i use to be in to street rods .. i have to find a good set of wheels for sure .. i have a 95 cobra thats close to stock and i modding the wagon so that i will leave the mustang alone ..

4. silverfox

silverfox New Member

Wagon Garage:
    I'm a sleeper kind of guy....especially with wagons. If it were mine I would fix it up showroom stock with fire under the hood.:yup:

5. Irishwagon

Irishwagon New Member

im going to find a 4barrel intake and a good cam for it .. and also a shift kit for the c6 ..so it will give it a little bite . HERE are a few more pics od what i got to work with .

Attached Files:

6. 72KingswoodEstate

72KingswoodEstate Well-Known Member

Wagon Garage:
    Nooooooo!!!!!! Keep it as it is... I dont know, maybe I am crazy, but I love woodgrain on the 70s wagons - I think it just "makes them" and adds to the uniqueness. I am not sure if the passenger side looks as good as the driver side, but if its like the driverside, the woodgrain looks to be in very good shape on your car, which is a rarity and you cannot purchase this style of woodgrain anymore.... it was unique to these cars (with the black lines). Seriously its your car though, but I think its awesome as-is.

I would love to have a wagon like that... I have looked for a 73-78 Country Squire for awhile, but they are obsolete around here. There used to be a green one like that locally, but it was all beat up, I think it finally was sold to a junk yard. I have even thought about selling my 72 Caprice Estate wagon and buy one in at least good condition.

Very cool wagon you have here... lucky to have found it... wish I could be so lucky. (y)

(if you do keep it mostly original and ever want to sell it, let me know, as I may be interested in it if not too rich for my blood, lol) - I would even sell my very nice '95 Lincoln Town Car for a car like that. lol. :)

Last edited: Jan 2, 2011
  7. Irishwagon

Irishwagon New Member

i have kicked around a few ideas. the one im think ill go with for now is find a way to lower it a little and find some 17 0r 18 wheels ..tint the windows and leave the out side alone and see if i like it ... but ill be looking for a 4b carb and intake . and up dating the cam and dizzy.. i wont do anything for a while that couldnt be undone ...by the way that caprice is a cool ride :thumbs2:thanks darrell

8. Irishwagon

Irishwagon New Member

Ill tell you a little about the Squire. I found it on the side of the road about 2 years ago with NO for sale sign on it sat there for about a month then one day the guy put a for sale sign in it .. Well i said to myself that I would stop and ask about it but when I came back the car was gone so I raked that up as i missed it ...well a couple months later I was going a new way home and there it was!!So I drove up there that day and drove it and paid him on the spot.
    The wagon isn’t perfect but its a real solid car it needs a dash pad and has a bad spot in the middle of the front seat and the drivers arm rest is missing..Everything works I just need to put a fuel pump on it now.. and i think its got 68000 on it .Oh an the guy that had it before i did drove it on long trips regular before he sold it .

9. Irishwagon

Irishwagon New Member

im really digging this set uP .. i just need wheels and polish my trim around the wood !!:2_thumbs_up_-_anima

Attached Files:

10. Cluricaun

Cluricaun Active Member

that is a mighty sweet looking '68 Merc :p

11. 72KingswoodEstate

Wagon Garage:
    Wow, thats cool... sounds like you lucked up on it. My great aunt had a 78 Country Squire that she bought new.... she gave it to her son in 1996, then I think he sold it for like $300 to someone that just wanted the engine... the car was still like new. I was crushed when I found out, but at the time (1996), I wasnt into wagons, or I would have told her I wanted the car if she ever sold it... she would have probably given it to me! :oops:

Seeing yours makes me want one again. I have always liked the 71-76 GM clamshell wagons and the 73-78 Country Squires, but some frustrating engine issues I have had with my 72, may have me selling it and trying to find a 73-78 Squire. :)

12. 72KingswoodEstate

Wagon Garage:
    I am more of an "originality" person, but sounds like you have some cool plans for it. I personally like the "deluxe" optional wheel covers for these cars... the outer part is smooth stainless, the center part is finned and the center emblem is blue.

13. 72KingswoodEstate

Wagon Garage:
    Darrell, if your wife ever threatens you to get shed of it or else, I might can find something to trade you for it thats more appealing to her. LOL. :rofl:

14. Irishwagon

Irishwagon New Member

if you came and took it out of the yard she would pay you ..:rofl2: i put a new fuel pump on it today because it was leaking . and i got the arm wrong on it an have to take it off and redo it ..

15. 72KingswoodEstate

Wagon Garage:
    lol, there are alot of wives out there that feel the same way about their hubbys wagon. :biglaugh:

Oh, here is a Country Squire wagon with those optional wheel covers I was referring to... this one also has the "cornering lights" option... also shows one with the optional "Brougham" interior option...

[​IMG]