1973 AMC Ambassador Brougham

Discussion in 'Station Wagon Auctions, Craigs List and Other Stat' started by jwdtenn, Dec 27, 2018.

1. jwdtenn

jwdtenn Well-Known Member

2. Poison_Ivy

Poison_Ivy Dogzilla Fan

Wagon Garage:
    Nice color, for one of those. My dad had a used '71 4-door sedan with round guages. But, I prefer the dash on this one, for some odd reason.
    The '66 on the same page looks familiar. Wasn't it featured here, not that long ago?

[​IMG]

Too bad, it doesen't have the interior identicle to that '65 convertible also appearing on the same page

[​IMG] [​IMG]

3. 60Mercman

60Mercman Well-Known Member

Wagon Garage:
    Those are are all pretty. When to the Hemmings site to look at all the pictures. That’s a really sweet looking car. Very nice indeed.

4. ctrysquire

ctrysquire Well-Known Member

Wagon Garage:
    I'm guessing this goes for more than I paid for mine ($300).

Very good looking and very clean, although the color is not my favorite.

These have some interesting features. Mine has a storage compartment embedded in the cargo area floor next to the third seat (possibly under the carpet on this car if it is so equipped). On the other hand, the dash behind the padding is an old style metal dash not generally seen on the big 3 (at least the full size cars) after the mid '60s. I really like the vertical dial radio, but there was no 8 track option in '73. I think -- I'm not sure -- that previous years used the same transmission hump mounted unit sold by Ford as a dealer option. Ford dropped this as of '72 (or maybe mid '71 when they switched to 3.2 ohm audio systems). Note also the unusually shaped and asymmetrical cargo area trim panels. When you're driving one of these, you never forget that you're not in a car from the big 3 -- despite the fact that so many parts are mixed and matched from them.

5. 60Mercman

Wagon Garage:
    It’s funny to look at hump mounted anything. I know in 1970 the Ford had the 8 track accessory mounted towards the bottom of the dash and not so far out in the hump. obviously they had to do it that way because of the left positioned radios on the ‘69-70 dash. I know the 8 track was incorporated in the radio in ‘71 cause we had the am/8track option on a ‘71 my dad had. I don’t think you could get FM with the 8 track till ‘73. I do however have a ‘72 LTD that has a dealer installed AM/FM-8 track unit. It has the parcel shelf and factory door speakers, but there is a pamphlet in the glove box that explains the radio unit with the additional FM ban listed. But Ford has used that floor mount for years. I have seen that floor mount before in the ‘59 Lincoln brochure for an FM receiver. They even used a clunky floor mount up through 1989 when you ordered a CD player in your Town Car the unit was floor mounted like that. It really looked awkward by that time

6. fasteddie

fasteddie Well-Known Member

Wagon Garage:
    Didn’t sell for high bid of $27,000 at Mecum

7. jwdtenn

That price is incredible.

8. fasteddie

fasteddie Well-Known Member

Wagon Garage:
    The only thing incredible about that price is the fact that the buyer didn't take it!

9. jwdtenn

Agreed!

A loaded and mint GM clamshell at that price would be a deal.

10. 60Mercman

Wagon Garage:
    Wow. That guy was smoking something. I agree either these wagons have just totally gotten blown out of the water, or you’re right. A $50,000 Buick Estate Wagon is just around the corner.

11. jwdtenn

Yep.