1971 Pontiac Grand Safari

Discussion in 'Station Wagon Auctions, Craigs List and Other Stat' started by jwdtenn, Sep 23, 2015.

1. cammerjeff

cammerjeff Longroofs Rule!

I agree some weird stuff was made, but unless it has had an engine change, no round port heads were installed in any 71 or later B-body. My 71 Catalina Freeway Enforcer would be as close at it gets to an HO engine. It has a HO short block, with standard #66 D-port heads with screw in studs, Standard D-port cast iron intake, with the a 7041270 HO Q-jet, and 1969/70 GTO RAM AIR III style D-port Manifolds. But only has 3.08 rear gears for High MPH motoring.

I wasn't asking if the car did have a Judge engine or drivetrain, I just couldn't understand how you could even make that statement. My enforcer is closer to a performance car than that Safari, and I wouldn't call my boat a Muscle car.

2. WagonKiller

WagonKiller Well-Known Member

I dunno how he makes that statement. You'd have to do a vin search. Id have to check I know mine has the same heads yours does. I still have the intake and carb too. Just saying he is probably full of shit(almost sure of that) But I wouldn't put ANYTHING past GM in the 70's If you had the cash you could get it built. Hell My dad bought a 74 Chevy dually big block Pick up brand new from Chevrolet he ordered it and had to wait. He wanted the wooden bottom in the bed and that's the way he got it. People still argue that was a TOTAL impossibility.

3. cammerjeff

74/75 are about the last years you could get 1 off odd ball cars (other than normal options for the car line) unless you were willing to purchase a COPO series, usually around 50 units. As the emission and crash regulations tightened, those 1 off odd cars disappeared. Even Brass hat cars were just loaded to the max standard cars.

Trucks might have gone a few years longer as the standards were not as tight on trucks. Your Fathers wooden be truck would not be legal to sell for crash standards just a year or 2 later.

4. WagonKiller

I did see a 77 2 dr buick I believe it was an electra. it had a Factory 455 and I think that was simply a fluke-ish get rid of the leftovers kinda car. Never really checked to see if it was actual production, but then again there was no internet easy search at that time lol

5. cammerjeff

I know Government Spec Cars are alittle different, I know that the Police could order a 77 Lemans with a 455 ( a couple have popped up with matching number engines) I know what you mean about being able to look up if it was an actual production option years ago. That and my memory is not what it used to be,

WagonKiller likes this.
  6. jwdtenn

jwdtenn Well-Known Member

7. jwdtenn

8. WagonKiller

White speckled headliner! ROFL white headliner with embedded DIRT! Does look like factory gauges tho. I would guess that mileage is flipped

9. elB

elB Well-Known Member

Wagon Garage:
    He's had the car for 20 years and can't tell if the mileage has flipped??? Some more pictures of the rest of the car instead of focusing on the emblems would be nice..

10. KevinVarnes

KevinVarnes Well-Known Member

Wagon Garage:
    This guy is crazy. Is he writing about the same car that he is showing in the pictures? How about some pictures of these VERY nice white vinyl seats. I love how he sneaks in the thing about the back window being MIA.

11. jwdtenn

12. Vetteman61

Vetteman61 Well-Known Member

Wagon Garage:
    I've talked to this guy on the phone more than once. My impression is that the car is rusted pretty badly. There is a hole rusted over the passenger side wheel opening, however he doesn't consider this bad rust. He has stated to me that putting a patch panel in is not a big deal. Just from what I've seen I can't imagine that much more of the car is rusted out, particularly after not having a rear window for so long. It's a shame because I could really, really use a lot of this car to restore mine, but from what I've gathered there's just nothing left here to use except the woodgrain trim. If anyone knows who ends up with this car, I would be interested in the trim.

13. KevinVarnes

KevinVarnes Well-Known Member

Wagon Garage:
    Does he sound as out of touch with reality on the phone as he does in his ad? I think the only person that is going to wind up with this car is the guy trying to sell it right now.

14. Vetteman61

Vetteman61 Well-Known Member

Wagon Garage:
    He was very nice and very polite and respectful, which is much more than I can say for some of the people I've talked to. It seemed as though he's done some work on cars, but I'm not sure the extent. I think perhaps what we're dealing with, and this is totally my opinion, is he is emotionally attached to the car, may not have the experience to realize just HOW MUCH work would really be involved to fix the rust, unaware, after the car would be torn apart the extent of damage that the rust has caused because it will be worse internally than externally, and an overvaulation of what it is worth due to the fact that wagons have become somewhat mainstream excepted as cool and anything that's "antique" has been perceived as very valuable due to TV shows and auctions.
    This is my opinion, so take it for what it is worth. Again, I would like to state that he has been very polite when I've been on the phone and for me that goes a long way. I believe he is incorrect in his assessment of his vehicle.

15. jwdtenn

Sounds like a shame that he does not know how damaged this 1971 is.