1971 Ford driver training film

Discussion in 'Station Wagons in the Movies and other Media' started by jwdtenn, Sep 8, 2017.

1. jwdtenn

jwdtenn Well-Known Member

2. ModelT1

ModelT1 Still Lost in the 50's

Wagon Garage:
    Back when I took driver training in high school we drove a nearly new 1955 Chevy 4-door or a new 1956 Chevy 4-door. Three kids in back, one of us driving, and the instructor with pedals on the right for emergencies. Sitting in back, we learned from other's mistakes!
    I got to practice with my grand dad in his 1954 Chevy 4-door. All cars were 150 models, six cylinder, 3-speed transmissions.
    My grand dad got thrilled making me drive on the north side of town north then south on streets that had stop signs every very short block. I spent more time shifting than getting anyplace.
    Then he took me out on the 2-lane highway out of town for a short drive. We ended up 50 miles east on that 2-lane highway then north on an old 4-lane, Rt 66. I drove for miles and miles before he had me turn around. At that time the maximum speed was "reasonable and proper". I have no idea how fast that '54 Chevy was going reasonably.
    Grandpa, me, and the old dog got grounded for weeks when we returned. But I was now an experienced car driver. I'm still learning.

3. uncledave

uncledave Active Member

Wagon Garage:
    Our driver ed car was an early 70's Ford LTD similar to the one in the film. My partner was Nancy, by the time she was done driving Mr. Hipp (cant believe I remember his name) was relived to let me drive... The parking test was done right in front of the school and therefore judged by every other kid that was looking out the classroom window. We were the first class to use simulators before driving, basically a trailer with a bunch of dashboards and steering wheels and a movie screen up front, you could even use 3 speed on the floor for extra credit. Didnt know it at the time but those were the days!