1971 Datsun 510 Wagon

Discussion in 'Station Wagon Auctions, Craigs List and Other Stat' started by markfnc, Jun 23, 2020.

1. Doghead

Doghead Well-Known Member

During the early 80s anti-foreign car sentiment arose again, as the domestic auto industry wasn't doing well. As usual, media hype was what fueled it on. At that time, I bought my first Renault. I guess, I could count myself lucky that Uncle John and his Cadillac were nowhere near me :nailbiting::stop::dead:

2. 60Mercman

60Mercman Well-Known Member

Wagon Garage:
    Good points. I’ll do more digging. Plus as you mentioned back then Nixon enjoyed quite a good relationship with the “hard hats” as he called them, the union rank and file, and could have potentially excluded Asian cars as a wink to them. Not that people played politics with executive orders or other legislation.

Doghead likes this.
  3. Doghead

Didn't Nixon sick Hardhats onto Hippies? His cutting down Kent State students was historically unprecedented. Imagine a head of state doing such a thing in a First World country these days

4. Krash Kadillak

Krash Kadillak Well-Known Member

Wagon Garage:
    Well, he ordered the National Guard in when the students got out of hand, but he didn't order any shooting. From what I remember, it was one inexperienced NG corpsman who got scared from an approaching group, opened fire, then one or two others did as well.

5. Doghead

He didn't need to. All he had to do was to take away their Gold Standard, assuring them a slower death

6. 60Mercman

Wagon Garage:
    What do you bet that young steel worker apprentice that was anti Nixon wound up wearing a 1000 pound steel girder hat band?

Doghead likes this.
  7. 60Mercman

Wagon Garage:
    So ok. Here’s the deal (that sounds like uncle Joe) not to get to far in the weeds on this site but I read a report, economic review from the Brookings institute on the effectiveness of tariffs and GATT on voluntary reductions on imports. And it looks like the initial import tariffs, which actually go back to the 50’s on Japanese textiles obviously were crafted to react to dollar strength and weakness, as well as give American industry a reprieve from dumping and other protections. It appears the steel/auto duties started in 1969 and ran through late 1974. In 1973 Japanese imports were around 700,000 or roughly 7% of total auto sales. By 1980 Japanese cars made up 20.8% of US sales. GATT was brought in to limit the number of Imports between 1981 to 1984. By 1985 the US automakers had taken some ownership stakes in Companies like Mitsubishi, and Isuzu. Trade and tariffs, like most things governmental are convoluted and difficult to understand. It’s dizziness to try to understand and figure it out until you realize it’s people protecting turf.

Doghead likes this.
  8. Doghead

That wouldn't have been the first time. That apprentice was the only one there who even needed to wear a helmet, since it would have been the only helmet there protecting a brain.
    All of the other tough-talkers were still standing there shooting their mouths off, instead of going to Cambodia themselves. Going to Cambodia was the job for others to do and not for the big mouths themselves who instead rather stayed home earning union wages which would soon disappear through union-busting orchestrated from the very same system of which they were cheering on