1971 Chevy Suburban

Discussion in 'General Station Wagon Discussions' started by pyasher, Nov 20, 2015.

1. pyasher

pyasher Well-Known Member

OK so it is not a real wagon - but it is kind of like a wagon - but what is it?
    One door on drivers side - Two on passenger side - weird rear bumper...
    Low millage claimed at 15K - Fire department Vehicle?

http://columbus.craigslist.org/cto/5323704008.html

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Nov 21, 2015
    ModelT1 likes this.
  2. joe_padavano

joe_padavano Well-Known Member

Wagon Garage:
    The three-door configuration was normal for these. The cloth roof, however, I've never seen before.

3. ModelT1

ModelT1 Still Lost in the 50's

Wagon Garage:
    Durn, been looking at ads for vans, trucks, and Suburbans. This is perfect, even resale red. Then I saw $18500!:slap:

4. pyasher

I learn something every day

The seller is really fond of it. I will stay quiet...

Attached Files:

ModelT1 likes this.
  5. ModelT1

ModelT1 Still Lost in the 50's

Wagon Garage:
    I've never checked craigslist before this week. Been looking for a decent full sized van with under 100,000 miles that is not made of gold.
    Also been looking for maybe a long bed pickup of any type, reg cab, etc. with similar mileage.
    Then I even checked a few Suburbans.
    I noticed no matter what color most are they seem to be gold plated and the owners just hate to part with a member of the family. This is reflected by the price and not being willing to lower it.
    I loved my Dodge truck too. But that didn't stop me from getting rid of it when it gave me trouble and started dollaring me to death.
    This is also when I reminded my wife to stop asking for money and quit bothering me. It's working! She's afraid I'll find a newer model with less problems.
    But even those seem to be gold plated!

pyasher likes this.
  6. Krash Kadillak

Krash Kadillak Well-Known Member

Wagon Garage:
    The '60-'66 Chevy Suburbans only had the 2 front passenger doors.... ('66 pictured):
    [​IMG]

The 'competition', in the form of the International Travelall, had 4 doors going back at least as far as 1964:
    [​IMG]

I don't know why Chevy only engineered for a 3-door Suburban when their trucks were redesigned for the 1967 model year. It wouldn't have been all that much, plus - they would have had most of the necessary parts to make a true crew-cab P/U, which Ford (and Dodge) already had by that time.

It wasn't until the next redesign, for the 1973 model year, that they finally got their game together.....
    [​IMG]

ModelT1 and pyasher like this.
  7. pyasher

I have always liked the International Travelalls!

8. OldFox

OldFox Curmudgeon

I was watching one of the car programs on TV this morning and they showed a Chevy sedan delivery with one door on the driver side and two on the passenger side. They said these were made specially for US Military use.

ModelT1 likes this.
  9. crownvictoria

crownvictoria Member

considering the cloth roof...(never seen this before on a chevy like this before either)...and the rear bumper that may act as a convenient step...could it be a custom made conversion for e.g. sightseeing tours or similar?
    I remember. the wild animal park near San Diego had similar vehicles to watch rhinos or hippopotamoses...:)

10. pyasher

OK I called the owner. It was ordered from the factory as a 3 door. It was converted to an ambulance / rescue vehicle and sent to the mountains of Colorado. The raised portion of the ambulance was removed and 2nd and 3rd rows of seats were added from a Suburban by the person he purchased it from. Originally it had a winch on the front. Has front and rear A/C. He has documentation on the millage along with all the ambulance stuff including the top. Owner says absolutely no rust and all documentation from day one.

ModelT1 likes this.
  11. Krash Kadillak

Krash Kadillak Well-Known Member

Wagon Garage:
    What we're trying to tell you is that for the '67-'72 model years, a 3-door was the only way you could get a Suburban from the factory. There are some pics out there of some custom 4-door '67-'72 crew-cab P/U's, but the only pic of a 4-door Suburban I've found is this 'in progress' shot.....
    [​IMG]

It's not clear how the door was made, but my experience tells me they started with a rear door from the right side of a Suburban, and then fabricated new window frames, and swapped the location of hinges, door handle, etc.....

That one for sale would have looked something like this with the ambulance top on it:
    [​IMG]