1968 Volvo 240 wagon - Toronto, ON

Discussion in 'Station Wagon Auctions, Craigs List and Other Stat' started by jim535, Jan 6, 2020.

1. jim535

jim535 born in a Ford

Wagon Garage:
  2. fasteddie

fasteddie Well-Known Member

Wagon Garage:
    Barely broken in with that mileage

3. Twohundred

Twohundred Active Member

Wagon Garage:
    15 years ago you got these for 500 dollars in Sweden. Nowadays the price is increasing a lot. But 5500 (even Canadian dolares) is more than what it cost new...

4. fasteddie

fasteddie Well-Known Member

Wagon Garage:
    These were/are great cars. These Volvo ‘Estate Cars’ are the ‘63 split window vette version of wagons- worth more than the other models. Most wagons pale in price to coupes and sedans. These wagons are worth more than there non-wagon counterparts.

annap01gt likes this.
  5. annap01gt

annap01gt Blue Safari

Some things are just perfect. When I hear "Volvo" the image that comes to my mind is a 240 Wagon. Haven't seen one for a while though.

6. Twohundred

Twohundred Active Member

Wagon Garage:
    They used to be all over when I grew up. Called "sosse-container", meaning a box-shaped wagon for the leftist blue collar worker (Social-demokrat). Early models had better steel than later.
    They were replaced by 740 and then the V70 and V90.

For me, they are just not worth anything. I do understand that the market is thinking the opposite, its just the facts that on every drive way there was a rusty Volvo parked when I was a kid. If the family had a bit better education (higher paid job) they owned a SAAB. The aim was to get a Mercedes. Not so much today.

Spare parts are cheap and easy to get to these cars. Think you can still buy everything except the body. So if you have a good body it should be possible to build a "new".

7. Twohundred

Twohundred Active Member

Wagon Garage:
    And yeah, I own a Buick Estate Wagon from -87. Quality is not so good when comparing to a Volvo of the same year. But I still prefer the Buick to a Volvo. And I have owned a blue 745 from 1987. It was a better car every day of the week. But it never made me smile. And I do smile when I get in the Buick.

8. Doghead

Doghead Well-Known Member

Even if image/prestige didn't play a role, I would still prefer a Saab, simply because of the elegant styling. A Volvo would simply bore me to death, despite their quality and reliability. The newest Volvos, however, seem to be placing greater importance on styling

[​IMG] [​IMG]

9. Twohundred

Twohundred Active Member

Wagon Garage:
    Should have picked up on this immediately, but for some weird reason I did not.

Series 140 was produced 1966-1974
    Series 240 was produced 1974-1993
    Series 740 was produced 1982-1992

So had to check the original add in the link above. The car is a 1978 and not a 1968. The 1968 in the heading bugged me for a few days. The add is now removed I and I am guessing the car has been sold.

MotoMike likes this.