1966 Pontiac GTO Tempest Wagon

Discussion in 'Station Wagon Auctions, Craigs List and Other Stat' started by annap01gt, Aug 13, 2022.

1. annap01gt

annap01gt Blue Safari

2. 60Mercman

60Mercman Well-Known Member

Wagon Garage:
    $80,000. He’s really proud of that car.

3. WagonTheDog

WagonTheDog Well-Known Member

Too rich and modified for my blood. What justifies his sky high asking price though? Even the powertrain is a pretty standard build with no exotic or expensive parts. Don't get me wrong, this is a nice enough car, but I wouldn't want to pay much more than half of what he's asking for it. Am I missing something? :huh:

4. elB

elB Well-Known Member

Wagon Garage:
    He's probably got at least 3/4 of that price tied up into the car (presuming he isn't a flipper or inheritor). The interior and paint alone are quite pricey. Not a fan of the 200-4R but I'm apparently in the minority in the Pontiac community with that opinion. The Fi-Tech is nice, but hopefully the bugs have been sorted out with the install as they can be finicky to get right.

I think it's probably overpriced as well, but I doubt you'd be able to build another one for close to the price.

5. WagonTheDog

WagonTheDog Well-Known Member

Oh, I know it's not cheap to build a car to that level, but getting the money back that you put into it is always a different story. It's almost always more expensive to build an old car than what it sells for. There's no doubt it's a nice car, but I don't know, I just don't see anywhere near $80k in it. My prediction is that it's either going to sit for a VERY long time or he's going to have to come back to reality and significantly drop the price to move it.

6. 60Mercman

60Mercman Well-Known Member

Wagon Garage:
    And that’s the age old argument we make on this site all the time. Personally he lost me with the interior, paint and wheels. That’s only because I’m a total stock guy. Do I think the car is stunning. Absolutely, and I totally appreciate what someone does with a car. It just gets down to getting someone to foot the bill for your taste. I appreciate peoples ingenuity, and they’re ability to modify a car to optimize it to their likes and needs/wants. You just really shrink your audience when you start moving it outside the box. IMHO

wagoninsane, WagonTheDog and markfnc like this.
  7. Steve-E-D

Steve-E-D Well-Known Member

Wagon Garage:
    Nice! :thumbs2: I'd drive it! Not likely to buy one for that price tag, though.