1964 Ford - Alternator Conversion

Discussion in 'General Automotive Tech' started by Tomab, Aug 9, 2018.

1. Tomab

Tomab Member

Wagon Garage:
    Hello!

In short, I am trying to mount an unregulated alternator on my 1964 Ford 260 V8 in a Fairlane Ranch Wagon. From the factory this vehicle came equipped with a generator(believe to have failed). I have purchased an alternator however there is no where to bolt it on. I've seen a number of different configurations on the internet and was wondering if anyone here had some advise or has encountered this problem themselves.

I'm thinking a bracket from a '65 Mustang 260 V8 might work. Part# C5ZZ-10145-BST

A little background on this vehicle:
    1964 Ford Fairlane Ranch Wagon
    1964 Ford 260 V8 - Seized Carburetor Throttle
    Starting the Wagon

The vehicle has it's own set of problems and she'll never be a show room car. Most importantly new floor pans need to be installed. In the meantime it's been taken around the block once every few weeks and hasn't encountered any serious problems. When initially testing the electrical system it was observed that the generator light was on dimly at idle and would turn off completely while rev'ing the engine. Recently this behavior changed in that the light is on dimly at idle and would get much brighter under any acceleration. While idling if the battery is unplugged the vehicle immediately dies.

The voltage regulator was removed and inspected. On the outside it was fairly dirty but the interior was spotless. I believe it to be functional. The generator was last serviced in 1981 when the brushes were replaced. It is quite crusty and I suspect it has failed. Which has lead me to where I am now.

If anyone can offer any troubleshooting suggestions, or tips on installing an alternator in this engine, please let me know. Thanks in advance!

2. Poison_Ivy

Poison_Ivy Dogzilla Fan

Wagon Garage:
    I'd visit a junkyard and try getting brackets from some old small block Ford. Being mostly a GM owner, I only know that GM alternators were available with internal regulators. It shouldn't be any different, concerning what Ford used for alternators. I think, they were Autolites

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

3. Silvertwinkiehobo

Silvertwinkiehobo "Everything that breaks starts with 'F.'"

If his wagon isn't an option monster (most back then weren't), or isn't planning on sound system and lighting upgrades, he doesn't need a third-generation alternator. A Mustang/Falcon alternator setup should give you the correct bracketry regardless of which Windsor engine you get it from. The trick will be getting the correct pulleys to ensure correct belt alignment. And, ensure whichever water pump pulley you get, that the hub is made with two layers of steel, as single-layered ones tend to crack or break. When you get the alternator bolted up, make one more change, to a solid-state electronic regulator. You'll be much happier when you do.

4. Tomab

Tomab Member

Wagon Garage:
    Thanks for the suggestions! Unfortunately I'm not aware of any junk yards in Illinois that have anything older than a decade or so; just the local Pick&Pull. Rather than have the charging system out of commission all summer, I went an ordered the overpriced alternator bracket and some bolts. I'll let you know how it goes.

5. OldFox

OldFox Curmudgeon

Why not just throw a set of brushes in the generator and get a new voltage regulator? It's extremely rare for the field coils to get a short or open in them. You can "motor" your generator to test it with a set of jumper cables. If it spins, it's good.

6. Tomab

Tomab Member

Wagon Garage:
    The generator will not spin when jumped. I believe a field coil has shorted to ground. It's pretty crusty in there.

We took the voltage regulator apart. The thing looks brand new.