1964 Catalina Safari Wagon

Discussion in 'Station Wagon Projects' started by MrMister, Aug 29, 2011.

1. MrMister

MrMister New Member

Wagon Garage:
    Senior Member now.
    Funny, I didn't even know about this section until today. Great stuff. Since, I am now a Senior, not to be confused with those who actually know about cars, I figured I would start a thread about our wagon.
    Well, the 9 passenger wagon is dripping oil all over my parents street. I knew about the oil and that it would require engine work before purchasing. Looks like the engine made it about 127k without the rebuild. I see in the original owners notes that he got quotes for a rebuild but I haven't found a receipt and he kept a lot of receipts.

Things that are new:
    Exhaust from the couplings down (there is an exhaust leak though, the gaskets might be the culprit)
    Radiator
    Battery
    Starter
    Hoses
    Voltage Regulator
    Distributor cap, points, rotor
    Spark plugs and cables

Things that need work:
    ENGINE
    Gas Gauge, assuming float/sender
    Air Conditioner
    Power Steering
    Some Coolant leak. Must be tiny because the car is still full. Hmmm..
    Shocks
    Horns
    Brakes, unsure, haven't checked yet but I didn't find any receipts for them.
    Interior, a lot of it is Pristine Original....my wife just sees creepy

Things that work:
    Rear Power window
    Rear view Mirror
    Windshield Wipers
    AM Radio

I'm sure that more works and what not and the list seems really uneven, but I am trying to be honest with myself about everything. I knew all of this when I bought it. The guy was really honest and tried to disclose as much as possible.
    I will be posting pics as things get done and before they start. I just have to get my camera over there and take decent pics for you all.

My goal:
    Get it in great running condition, so my wife will have time to practice driving it. Then once she is happy, going through other stuff.
    So, I need to get the engine rebuilt. It will take longer if I do it, so I am going to have it done. Anyone know what it costs on average for a rebuild of a 389 V8?
    While the engine is being rebuilt do you think the shop would let me clean up the engine bay and maybe fix up the paint inside? Depending on how long they are going to take I might be able to take a look at the leaky power steering. Even though the Power Steering works like a dream. Turns soooo easy.

Ok some more questions.
    When letting off of the brake most cars want to take off at a low speed, in forward and reverse. This car needs a lot of gas to get going. It is supposed to have 267 hp, shouldn't I put it in reverse and ease off the brake not step on the gas to move?
    What are ways to make this more fuel efficient? Any little things I can do?

I will at least post a pic that the guy originally sent me that way we have something to look at.

Attached Files:

2. Stormin' Norman

Stormin' Norman Well-Known Member

Wagon Garage:
    Up here in Canada, the top-of-the-line Pontiac was a Parisienne, until they introduced the Grande Parisienne. Which one was it in the US, back in 1964, the Catalina or Bonneville, OR...???

Wives want SAFETY, then touches of convenience and comfort and then, luxury. You might hunt around for some factory goods, like makeup mirrors for the visors. No pompoms though.:evilsmile:

3. MrMister

MrMister New Member

Wagon Garage:
    I think the Bonneville was the top of the line. The passenger visor has the makeup mirror.

4. Stormin' Norman

Wagon Garage:
  5. MrMister

MrMister New Member

Wagon Garage:
    I saw posted on here somewhere a place to buy a service manual on cd for $30. I used the search feature but can't seem to find it. Can anyone help out with that? Thanks.

6. Stormin' Norman

Wagon Garage:
  7. MrMister

MrMister New Member

Wagon Garage:
    Thanks Norman.
    I just called a guy who said, "Don't rebuild it yet." He is going to take a look adjust the lifters and put new gaskets on, use some dye, and have me come back and see if there are anymore leaks and where they are coming from. He said for about $150. Sounds great. They have a good report online, not that that says everything though.

8. MrMister

MrMister New Member

Wagon Garage:
    Ok. Took it down to the shop and there is some good news and some bad news.
    Good news. I purchased a good car that someone already spent a lot of money on. Bad news... I still have to spend some money.

All of the shocks had broken seals and were worthless. The driver's side was a lot worse than the others though in my opinion, since it had a little slant to it.
    Fluids all clean.
    Compression good.
    Ok, so they need to replace the front seal and the valve cover gasket.
    ( I would do this myself but my mom wont let me use her house to work on the car, and I live in an apartment.)
    The timing chain housing was completely corroded and they said I have a groove in my harmonic balancer. How would that happen?
    They said I need to use an octane booster, since this car still wants leaded fuel.
    There were a couple of other things like fixing the ac and stuff. So we'll see he is sending me a list of things via fax.

Well, so far so good. The price is okay since it brings me to right around the asking price of the car in the first place.

9. burners

burners Well-Known Member

Not a bad little project. It looks pretty nice to begin with.

The groove in the balancer is from the seal wearing on it. You can get repair sleeves from Fel-Pro for about $5 so that isn't a big deal. I'm not sure you need octane booster unless it has a lead additive in it. You may want to plan for rebuilding the heads and adding hardened valve seats. This can wait a while.

I would seriously look into swapping the master cylinder for a dual unit as a safety upgrade.

Can you post some photos of the interior? I'd love to see some.

10. Stormin' Norman

Wagon Garage:
    Nobody rents out shop space or a vacant garage?

Corroded die castings on the chain housing are common enough, especially in humid salty air regions or where they use roadsalt.

The groove in the balancer sounds like normal wear and tear. The engine wasn't spray-cleaned probably. Oil and grease and road dust spinning at a few thousand RPMs for a decade or two. New seal should do it, or change the balancer if the groove is really deep or wide, while you have it out. Otherwise, you could have a shop turn it and get the groove out with a new seal.

AC can get costly if the components are toast. Condenser, Evaporator, Valves. Its a specialty repair almost everywhere (licensed techs only), but you could ask him if he has any idea what components are fried, or if its just a Refill. It could run up to $1,000 with parts and labor. Refill kits run under $50. Without a tech certificate, most junkyards can't even sell me a good condenser, and the new ones are definitely a No-No!

If you could buy the parts through a shop and install them, you could save a lot in labor costs and markup by the installer.

11. MotoMike

MotoMike Well-Known Member

I notice the belt missing from the compressor.....is it locked up?

12. MrMister

MrMister New Member

Wagon Garage:
    That's true. I was looking for a place to keep the car. I had an option at my neighbor's garage but he just recently got his engine for his VW Bug and is filling up his garage. Problem is with four kids I don't have too many friends. I would prefer to do stuff myself too. But I just need to get this done.

13. MrMister

MrMister New Member

Wagon Garage:
    Nope the compressor is smooth. I have the original belt. I don't think there was a problem with the AC besides the belt with was stretched out and not turning.

14. MrMister

MrMister New Member

Wagon Garage:
    Just replaced the rear shocks. The driver side was sagging and the air shocks wouldn't hold air. The passenger side shock was binding and looked like it had been damaged. I added some expanders to the coil so that I could mostly level the vehicle until I can get some coil springs in stock. Here are some before and after pics.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

15. 1967 Tempest

1967 Tempest Well-Known Member

Wagon Garage:
    Sweet ride!!! I like the two tone as well!!

Yeah the groove in the balancer is sometimes referred to as a "Dirt Race". DIrt gets in there and makes a race. Then oil comes out and lubricates the front of the engine.!!

The valve cover fixed? If not I have a set of rubber gaskets that you can have for cheap!!

All you will need is a 7/16" socket and some gasket maker. Usually can be done side-of-the-road. Not tough at all.

Valve adjustment is not too bad either if you want to tackle that as well. Nothing fancy on a 1964 Pontiac. Torque the nut to 20lbs.

HTH,
    Dave