1964 Catalina Safari Wagon Build

Discussion in 'General Station Wagon Discussions' started by HotRodRacer, Sep 23, 2018.

1. HotRodRacer

HotRodRacer Moderator Staff Member Moderator

Wagon Garage:
    Not my build, but a little background -

My pinstriping buddy Artie Schilling has always been involved in raising money for the Ronald McDonald House charity for as long as I can remember. "Artie's Party" is a pinstriping event held in conjunction with the Syracuse Nationals every year. Last year they raised about $66,000 through the auction of pinstriped works of art from many different stripers.

This year they took a slightly different approach - a build of a 1964 Pontiac Catalina Safari wagon. Through many donations of many companies and individual's time and labor, what started out just to be "cleaned up and striped" turned into a full rebuild. A decent write up here:

https://theshopmag.com/features/artie-s-party-cruiser-raising-charity-money

The wagon went across the auction block this weekend and sold for $26,000, which is my opinion (and even though he is a friend of mine) was a steal for this wagon. I would've put it at high 30's.

https://www.saratogaautoauction.org/vehicles/418/1964-pontiac-catalina-safari

Here is a photo of the car going across the block:
    IMG_2902.JPG

2. Krash Kadillak

Krash Kadillak Well-Known Member

Wagon Garage:
    I think they could have got more money for it, had they gone with a modern hot rod/ resto-mod theme, instead of a pseudo 50's wagon theme. just my opinion.....
    Some thing more like this:
    [​IMG]

3. HotRodRacer

HotRodRacer Moderator Staff Member Moderator

Wagon Garage:
    Yeah, I agree with you 100% Krash. If you want the bigger money, you have to appeal to what's hot.

These are old school guys - and I admire them for what they did, and the money they raised.

4. OrthmannJ

OrthmannJ Always looking for old ford crew cabs

That's really neat. And what a great cause! Thanks for sharing about it.