1964 Buick Skylark

Discussion in 'Station Wagon Auctions, Craigs List and Other Stat' started by wagonfan63, Sep 29, 2015.

1. wagonfan63

wagonfan63 Well-Known Member

2. ChiefDanGeorge

ChiefDanGeorge Well-Known Member

Wagon Garage:
    $13k for a cracked engine block? I'll have to go with pass.

3. cammerjeff

cammerjeff Longroofs Rule!

Good Looking Car, but I agree tough sell with the Possible Engine Issue at that Price. I will give the seller credit for posting the issue, Not just JB Welding it, painting it, and selling it.

4. glparker389

glparker389 Member

Hey Fellow Wagonistas,

The Sport Wagon referenced above is mine -- thanks for looking, and please let me know if you have any further questions. I've also got it listed on Hemmings (link here: http://www.hemmings.com/classifieds/cars-for-sale/buick/sport-wagon/1759046.html).

As noted by ChiefDanGeorge, the price and engine issue are probably scaring away most buyers (though I have had some interest beyond the usual tire kickers). I've had a tough time setting a price -- there aren't many wagons like these, and there are fewer (if any) in this condition with a similar engine issue.

Based on other Sport Wagon and Vista Cruiser examples I've found over the years, I would aim for a number of $16,000 or so with an engine that doesn't have problems; my cracked-block discount is $3000, so I'm currently at $13,250. At this point, I'd take $12,500 (what I paid for the car; I've invested at least $8500 more in a gas tank, floor pan, seat belts, brakes, etc.). I would like the car to find a good home before winter.

I think someone with the know-how could stitch the block -- the crack is fairly small, easy to access without pulling the engine, etc. etc.

Thanks for looking. Long live wagons!

Greg

ModelT1 likes this.
  5. glparker389

glparker389 Member

Oops -- I realized that, as a new member, I breached protocol by posting a link to the Hemmings classified in the above response. I'm sorry about this. If I breached any further protocol, please have a moderator delete the above post.

Greg

6. cammerjeff

cammerjeff Longroofs Rule!

I don't think it will be a problem, I may have to check out your wagon when I get back from Mexico this week! It looks very nice in the pictures.

For some reason the Buick Sport wagons don't seem to bring quite the same money as the Vista Cruisers. And with the exeption of the 68 and 69 Models I think they are better looking cars! Go figure.

7. Krash Kadillak

Krash Kadillak Well-Known Member

Wagon Garage:
    Certainly a beautiful wagon, and kudos to you Greg for being up-front with the cracked engine block issue.

That being said, I think you might be a bit optimistic on the value. I think the $12-13k range is good without the engine issue. Have you had an engine welding expert take a looks at? It might turn out to be not as much of an issue as you think, and you can just get it done for a minimal amount.
    Good luck with your sale.
    Marshall

8. WagonKiller

WagonKiller Well-Known Member

Does it have aluminum heads? Or are you saying it's a replacement engine? I know most 64 300's were aluminum heads and intake, and an afb will not fit. A WCFB will tho. Dunno how it works in your state but here if it has any inkling of salvage with the title your going to own a reconstructed vehicle. And that cuts the value in half or more. Not dissin your ride at all I like it.

9. glparker389

glparker389 Member

Thanks for looking, guys. We'll have to disagree on the price issue (I don't mean to sound defensive, as it's always a sensitive issue, but it is based on actual market research; I looked for over a year before I bought, and I've closely watched the market since -- that's three years total).

I've got a 65 engine in it -- cast iron all around. Check out my Hemmings ad -- it's long, but it has lots of detail.

A salvage title on a 50-year-old car does not affect the value like it does on a late-model car. The title was fully disclosed to me when I bought the car; it did not transfer to Michigan, but it's something a buyer should know. I also have pictures of the car before it was restored.

Thanks again for looking! Have a great weekend,

Greg