1958 Ford Ranch Wagon "Class Project" - year 2

Discussion in 'Station Wagon Projects' started by olivepick, Sep 11, 2010.

1. olivepick

olivepick New Member

Wagon Garage:
    Here it is - another year of auto shop class for Seattle Lutheran High School with the '58 Ford Ranch Wagon.

Thanks to everyone who followed along and provided encouragement for last year's class. Year 1 of the build can be seen here.

About the class:
    This is an all-volunteer funded and taught class for Seattle Lutheran High School in West Seattle Washington. I'm Dan - the class was my idea and is taught in my garage - but it wouldn't be possible without the help and support of others. Namely my helpers Dave and Ken (Ken is new to the project this year) and my wife Karin who puts up with the late night garage sessions, all the missing Sunday afternoons, and all the unforeseen expenses.

The class meets every other Sunday afternoon from 1-4pm, for a total of 19 class sessions over the course of the school year and for this effort the students will earn an elective credit. I will post a summary of our accomplishments (however small they may be) after each class. This year I’m going to ask the students to contribute to the class summaries.

I limit the class to four students and as of right now we have three signed up for this year. We had a great group of guys last year and I'm looking forward to another fun group this year.

The car:
    If you followed along last year you know that the car underwent quite a transformation. I was hoping to sell the car over the summer to fund another project that would be an equally big transformation. No one bought the car, so we did a little work last night to help ensure that it would look like a big enough project when class starts tomorrow.

Here's what we started with last night:
    [​IMG]

At the end of the night we were ready for the class to start:
    [​IMG]

2. Drag'N Wagon

Drag'N Wagon New Member

Wagon Garage:
    Are any of the guys from the 1st class returning? What are the plans for this year? Last year was great and I can't wait to see what you'll do this year!!! :thumbs2:

3. olivepick

olivepick New Member

Wagon Garage:
    Session 1

We had our first class this last Sunday. After a brief introduction and safety orientation we jumped right in and started removing the motor.

One of the students dropped the class before the first session, so we only had two students for the first session - Jake and Kelli (different Jake from last year) - but another student has registered so we should be back up to three by the next class.

Our goals for the first couple months are:
    - Remove the engine/trans
    - Replace rear main seal and fix other minor leaks on the engine
    - Remove all front suspension
    - Clean and paint frame
    - Rebuild all front suspension
    - Clean and paint firewall
    - Rebuild the carb
    - Clean/fix/replace/paint all front sheet metal
    - Put the front end back together

Here's Dave and Kelli working on disconnecting the motor:
    [​IMG]

Jake and Ken work on taking the motor apart
    [​IMG]

4. Stormin' Norman

Stormin' Norman Well-Known Member

Wagon Garage:
    No primer or paint? Such a handsome classic running bare-a$$ naked. :biglaugh:

Hope your guys chime in too. Nice to see guys with a knack for knuckle-dusting.:rofl2:

5. 65falconwagon

65falconwagon New Member

That is so awesome that you can provide a hands on class for the male/female students....the info is so priceless to them they just don't really understand.....it is like passing the torch on to the younger crowd...I have always been more in favor of hands on stuff as you truly can see how things work and can be fixed....I wish I would have had a great opportunity like this when I was growing up but much of it I had to learn on my own and making mistakes

6. olivepick

olivepick New Member

Wagon Garage:
    Session 2

Since the first class session our no-show dropped the class and Kelli transfered to a different school. But we added Mitchell, Zach, and Anika - so we're back up to a full class.

This week Anika and Zach worked on taking the front suspension apart while Jake and Mitchell worked on replacing the rear main seal.

The front suspension came apart without too much struggle, but we confirmed that we need a new driver side lower control arm.

[​IMG]

Now we're down to a bare frame that the students can clean :)
    [​IMG]

Here's Ken teaching the students about a motor's innards
    [​IMG]

Now the hunt is on for a new lower control arm. I just talked to a guy today who's parting out a '58 4 door, so I'm hoping to pick up some parts this weekend.

7. Stormin' Norman

Wagon Garage:
  8. dotcentral

dotcentral Active Member

Looking forward to seeing the classes progress this year. Good luck with it.

9. olivepick

olivepick New Member

Wagon Garage:
    Parts hunting expedition

My uncle Jim turned me on to a guy parting out a 1958 4 door (Thanks Jim!) and my dad and I went on an expedition today to get some parts.

The car is at a farm about an hour from Seattle that's home to a bunch of neat old cars.

Elliot came with us to keep us company. He was really patient with us for the first three hours.
    [​IMG]

Just a couple of the cars covering the property:
    [​IMG]

What is supposedly a Barris custom tucked into one of the out buildings:
    [​IMG]

After four hours at the farm, we came home with a good control arm:
    [​IMG]

A radiator:
    [​IMG]

a some chrome pieces for the front end (these corners are what took all the time)
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Oct 3, 2010
  10. Stormin' Norman

Wagon Garage:
    I'll bet you drooled over that ground cover.:rofl2:

What a treat that must've been. I love exploring places like that.:thumbs2:

Nice to see you got some good parts. That broken lens might have some undamaged twins at this site. Were amber lenses an option?
    http://www.taillightking.com/

11. caveman

caveman New Member

Wagon Garage:
    Wow just finished reading Part# 1, what a great project for the younger generation. Keep up all the good work.

John

12. olivepick

olivepick New Member

Wagon Garage:
    Session 3

Anika was out sick this week, so it was just the three guys. I had put together a checklist of things to do to the motor and the front end and they did a good job of working their way down the list.

On the motor they were working on cleaning it up, touching up the paint, putting the oil pan back on, replacing the fuel pump, etc.

[​IMG]

On the front end, the focus was on cleaning. Each student spent a half hour or so at the sand blast cabinet cleaning suspension parts and we also started grinding the frame to prepare for paint.

Here's what I love to see - all the students hard at work :)
    [​IMG]

I had cleaned up one of the A arms and painted it, so Jake put some of the new components on it.
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Oct 12, 2010
  13. Stormin' Norman

Wagon Garage:
    Sharp looking young men. Good to see them focussed on restoring that classic wagon.

I like your shop too. You're own sand-blasting cabinet, huh? hmmm...:thumbs2::)

14. MotoMike

MotoMike Well-Known Member

What a great project! My folks had a 58 Ranch Wagon, I can barely remember it, white with a red interior I believe. Good luck on a good year wit the kids, thanks for sharing their progress.

15. the Rev

the Rev senior junior Charter Member

Wagon Garage:
    thanx for the updates Olive...great to see its still a happnin thing:thumbs2: