1958 Chevy Delray Project

Discussion in 'Cosmetic & Restoration' started by CapriceEstate, Mar 1, 2009.

1. Stormin' Norman

Stormin' Norman Well-Known Member

Wagon Garage:
    Candy Apple engine paint and no pinstripes! :biglaugh:

Is it in yet? :evilsmile::biglaugh::biglaugh:

Great start! :2_thumbs_up_-_anima

2. Taranau

Taranau Well-Known Member

Wagon Garage:
    It's good to see you're not going the 454 or 502 route.A 283 should be a great powerplant for the Del Ray.Plenty of engine.And with better mpg's too!:yup:

3. Stormin' Norman

Wagon Garage:
    I agree, they're one of the best engines to build on. No whiz-kid computers, no unnecessary fluff. Heck he's even got the old breather tube for the oil pan fumes! Early EGR!!! :biglaugh:

4. Taranau

Wagon Garage:
    Never understood why people would take a 327 and turn it into a 350 or 383.The 327 is a good solid engine---and can come with a variety of intake options.You can go all the way from "tame with high mpg's" to "so much tri-power torque and horsepower",you'll be able to go way faster and way quicker than you'd ever really need to...And while they're not quite a dime a dozen,a 350 can be got way cheap,but a true unaltered 327 is a rare and wonderfull breed.;)

5. CapriceEstate

CapriceEstate Yacht Captain

Wagon Garage:
    The motor ain't in quite yet, I spend half the day getting the car from the woods up to my house, but I did put 12 hours in, 10am-10pm. Thank God I have dedicated friends to help me out. The motor is back together, and painted the original stock Chevy orange. Looks fantastic. We had some problems with the flywheel bolts and such. Put on all new gaskets.

We pulled the straight six and three-on-the-tree out today as well. I'll be posting some pics soon!

As far as the paint goes, I'm planning a three-tone paint job. Turquoise below the side trim, green above it, and black or white for the top, still open to suggestions on the top color.

6. gpd294

gpd294 Well-Known Member

My ballot is White for the top color... And as far as the rest goes...No offense, but give the "Ol' Man" a break...they're old school! By the time We head that way ... They are already coming back... :bowdown: ..and 50 is Not old by any stretch... At least he's fussin' at ya...I miss that :cry:

Great job on getting the engine cleaned up and painted! Keep up the great work!

Norm, How is it a "Canadian" made it all the way down to Guadalajara??? Arriba, "Mana", Cabrones! (Probably dating myself) Yes...You guessed it, I am in my 30's!...(Maybe this outta be another topic of discussion at a different post) oops! Sorry I'm listening to a lil Ricardo Montaner, now... I know, I know he's Venezulano...But I would like to know,,,Sure I'd love another :drink:

Last edited: Mar 18, 2009
  7. Stormin' Norman

Wagon Garage:
    I met my wife in Vancouver, BC. I was developing programs for some labs and manufacturers. She was visiting one of their wives and chaparoning the wife's kid sisters. I went down and met the family (which is worse than passing an FBI test! :biglaugh:). We got married in Monterrey, MX. Her boss was really glad for her, but ticked with me. We moved back to Vancouver, and her company asked her if she'd help them out with another company in Guadalajara. She's an ISO Auditor and HR administrator. My clients stayed with me, until the projects were done, and I got a job as a System Architect for a US/Canadian/Mexican corporation with 6 plants in all 3 countries.

We moved back to Canada when I found out that Canada could revoke my Canadian Citizenship, even though my family came here in 1686. If you don't come back before 5 years for at least 2 weeks, they can deny you.

8. Taranau

Wagon Garage:
    They can revoke your citizenship?..Sounds like being disowned for being a prodigal son!..And I guess it rules out walking around the world.Maybe you can drive around the world in your Fairmont;)...

9. Stormin' Norman

Wagon Garage:
    Well, it might be closer to the truth, than you think, if I can just figure out a Paddle-Wheel setup. We just got major Flood Warnings issued that the entire Southern part could be flooded and maybe up to 2000 homes as well. They've told the farmers to get their grain and seeds out now, with help from the railways (Grain cars).

Yeah, I don't know why Canada would do that. If I move to another country like Mexico or the US, they have a treaty/agreement to allow pensioners to receive their Federal pensions, but they still have to come home for two weeks, to keep them listed. Filing a tax return isn't enough.:slap:

10. Blackfoot

Blackfoot Wagonless Soul

Wagon Garage:
    Sorta like my situation with my wife being from Manila Philippines. Except we are planning to move there when the younger of my 2 sons from the practice marriage graduates school. If I didnt have them here waiting for me, I would have never come back to the states 5 years ago.

11. CapriceEstate

Wagon Garage:
    Well, the motor and trans are officially in! I haven't seen it yet, I was very sick when I got home from work and slept, but my friends got her in for me while I was sleeping I guess haha. I need a shorter driveshaft. The car was a straight six with three on the tree, went to the 283/TH400. Any idea of a driveshaft that may fit? I know having it shortened and balanced may be the only option, but if I could find a cheaper way to do it, that would be great! Can't wait to see how my motor works, my buddy trailered the car to his shop, and is bringing it back tomorrow while I'm at work, guess I'll see when I get home!

12. Stormin' Norman

Wagon Garage:
    You're kind of locked into 1957-58 Chevs. Otherwise get one from another six and have a machine shop weld and balance it. Not expensive, maybe $25 to $50. Our Canadian pontiacs would work to. Yours have big Poncho engines and longer trannies (shorter driveshafts).

13. gpd294

gpd294 Well-Known Member

Good job gettin' the engine in Caprice...Well kudos to your buddies too...I'm still waiting on my neighbor, who is a ASE certified mechanic, to offer to pull the 400 cid V-8 out of my wagon so I can finally send it to the paint and body shop...(St Patty's Day was Tuesday) I figure 2 more Patron shots and he'll do it...:drink:

14. CapriceEstate

Wagon Garage:
    Only ones from those years will work, huh? My buddy thought his from his 85 Monte would be about the right size, but we're no experts. Oh well, I heard that a weld and balancing was going to cost me an arm and a leg as well.

Yeah, I came home from work today and my car was back at my house, motor and trans in and looking very different than it did with that straight six in there!

15. Stormin' Norman

Wagon Garage:
    The diameter is critical in an X frame. Less is gooder. Look at the wear on the transmission end to see how much travel you need into the trans tailstock. If its all good then go for it with the Monte DS.