1958 Chevrolet Brookwood New Fuel Tank

Discussion in 'Cosmetic & Restoration' started by Cruisinthe34, Oct 24, 2009.

1. Cruisinthe34

Cruisinthe34 New Member

Wagon Garage:
    My new brookwood isn't even here yet, and I got a call from the dealer stating the gas tank "would probably need to be cleaned and sealed".....well, I've always just replaced the gas tank on my builds, but I'm running into some dfficulty locating an off the shelf tank. Every one I've found so far states "excluding wagons"...... Any suggestions ????

I've used the poly tanks before, and they're fine, I'd hate to think I'd have to ship the old tank off and have a new stainless tank made right off the bat.

2. Stormin' Norman

Stormin' Norman Well-Known Member

Wagon Garage:
  3. BillT

BillT Well-Known Member

If it's repairable, which sounds like it is, I personally would go that route. The tank on my son's '72 Kingswood Estate starting leaking one day and after a few phone calls, I was convinced that a new tank for a resonable price was not to be found. I went ahead and took it out and brought to a radiator shop that also repaired gas tanks. He repaired the holes, cleaned the tank and sealed it on the inside and out. I was very satisfied with the work done on it and it still worked fine the day we sold it.

Bill

4. HandyAndy

HandyAndy Well-Known Member

X2 on the rad shop, although I had a local sandblaster do one of mine and he welded up a small hole.

5. Cruisinthe34

Cruisinthe34 New Member

Wagon Garage:
    Thanks folks.........I guess thats about the best I'll do for now, that makes the most short term sense too. I know a couple of local rad shops do that cleaning sealing thing. Worst case, I can do that, and then try to figure WHY the '58 sedan tank doesn't work in the wagon, and fabricate something around that later.

6. BillT

BillT Well-Known Member

I had a '58 Nomad Wagon, but that was years ago and I can't remember what the tank looked like, but if it is anything like a '59 or '60 Wagon tank, it is way different than a Sedan tank. The '59 and '60 has a type of "Horseshoe" tank and it is even placed at a different location.

Bill

7. Stormin' Norman

Stormin' Norman Well-Known Member

Wagon Garage:
    If I recall correctly, they sit in the side, right? Or am I mixed up with the 57's where you swing the tail light to fill them up?

8. Dr B Smith

Dr B Smith Well-Known Member

Wagon Garage:
    Moyers in Greensburg PA is the best and excellent prices. They will restore your original tank and it will be better than new.

http://www.gas-tank.com/

9. 65falconwagon

65falconwagon New Member

sometimes you have to work with what you have....as is the case with my '65 falcon wagon tank....it isn't repro'd at all....thank god all I need to do is clean mine up and it is not leaking....you have to remember that parts are hard to find generally for most wagons since they're not considered a normal classic ride by alot of people...of course I disagree with it because I think they are cool and different....until now I didn't even know Chevy made a brookwood wagon?

10. Cruisinthe34

Cruisinthe34 New Member

Wagon Garage:
    I believe I'll try Moyers or at least that Renu process, I've heard there's a dealer an hour south of me too.

In reading the Chevrolet 'assembly manual'......the main difference in the explaination (such as it is) talks only about disconnecting the fuel filler hose etc as different from the sedan. I'll just wait until Monday when the car gets here, and I get it on my lift !

As for experiencing hard to find or non existant replacement parts.....you're preaching to the choir :banghead3:, I also have a 1934 Chevrolet 4 door sedan and a 1941 Ford flathead pickup truck both of which I have restored and modified over the years. I'm just getting old enough now that I want everything to be easy :jumping: !!

Last edited: Oct 25, 2009
  11. BillT

BillT Well-Known Member

The '59 and '60 tanks are in the middle of the car, somewhere close to under the rear seat area. I also can't exactly remember where the '55 to '57 wagon tanks were at, but the filler on the '57 was above the tail light. You swung open a chrome molding to get to it. The '56 had the tail light that dropped down, after turning a piece of chrome above it. The '55 just had a plain 'ol gas door.

I got gas many times in my '56 where the gas attendant (back in the old days) could not find where to put the gas in. I have to give it to the Cadillac tho. One of those models in the '50's had the filler under the tail light and you had to push in the reflector button to "pop" it open.

Bill

12. the Rev

the Rev senior junior Charter Member

Wagon Garage:
    is the car application maybe workable??
    they still make the car tank....i guess i should look into it to.;)..probably gonna need one for the Yeoman:banghead3:

13. Krash Kadillak

Krash Kadillak Well-Known Member

Wagon Garage:
    Wagons having different gas tanks from their sedan counterparts is fairly common. The engineers / designers usually have to account for different locations of the spare tire, suspension mounting points, a possible third seat in some cases, etc..........

14. Cruisinthe34

Cruisinthe34 New Member

Wagon Garage:
    I'm expecting the Brookwood here tomorrow.....I'll let you know !

15. the Rev

the Rev senior junior Charter Member

Wagon Garage:

yup...but some are just a case of 'neck location'....or relocation:yup:

I gotta look under mine :)