$120k BMW station wagon

Discussion in 'General Station Wagon Discussions' started by ross, Apr 13, 2017.

1. ross

ross Well-Known Member

Wagon Garage:
  2. Silvertwinkiehobo

Silvertwinkiehobo The Lost Lamb

Regardless of cost, having a grey-market car that not only has provenance and excellent care, but the work to make it California emissions compliant, would make it close to that $120K mark. I'm not a BMW fan (I've worked on them), but if I wanted a collectible modern wagon, I would certainly consider this one.

3. Grizz

Grizz Are we there yet???

Wagon Garage:
    C'mon!!! You don't like working on BMW?! I worked on a few, I think early 2000? Always found them different but in a good way. A lot of torx bits and weird stuff like that but once you figure it out? The first thing that comes to mind is the ignition coils. They have a of plastic kind of lever that when released frees the coil but also lifts it up a little. That's the only specific example I can think of. I did a transmission once and it was easy. If I remember correctly, The hardest part was puzzling the 20 piece heat sheild back together. All that being said, I ain't got bimmer money. Even if I could afford the car, repairs would kill me. And it's not like I can just go down to Oreilly's for parts or custom tweety bird floor mats either

4. Silvertwinkiehobo

Silvertwinkiehobo The Lost Lamb

I've done radiators, expansion tanks, drive belts, accessories, and of course, tune-ups, along with misfire diagnosis :)vomito:) and emission test failure diagnosis. Having said that, it's not one of my favorites, especially when filling/burping the cooling system.:coco:

5. KevinVarnes

KevinVarnes Well-Known Member

Wagon Garage:
    My biggest gripe with BMW's is parts availability. Most parts are either dealer or you have to have them shipped in. They aren't terrible once you are used to them. I don't know what they make their underhood plastic and rubber parts out of, but they become so brittle it isn't even funny. Not to say parts on other cars don't do the same thing over time, but I have had the most issues with BMW's when it comes to that.

As for the $120k car. Meh. I guess it is cool, but I wouldn't drop that kind of money on any car.