1/24th scale 1970 Ford Country Squire on Ebay

Discussion in 'Station Wagon Memorabilia & Toys' started by FordWagonNut1979, Jan 28, 2009.

1. FordWagonNut1979

FordWagonNut1979 New Member

I bought the kit a few months ago, I'm still tryin to figure out what color I want it. However, I found this pro built version on Ebay. I had seen some other Fords and Chevys from this guy, he puts in the work these cars desurve.

http://cgi.ebay.com/1970-Ford-LTD-C...oryZ2592QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

The wagon on here, he hand made the roof rack and opned the third seats on this one. Mine did not come with the roof rack eaither, so I also have to hand make mine.

Jonny

2. wagonmaster

wagonmaster Administrator Staff Member Moderator

Wagon Garage:
    Wow! Nice car and nice price!

3. Stormin' Norman

Stormin' Norman Well-Known Member

Wagon Garage:
    You handmake the parts? From plastic? Any tips on molding and shaping plastic? :confused:

4. FordWagonNut1979

Well I have been building model cars since I was three, so building cars/trucks is in the blood. Since an after market company called The Modelhaus came out with a few wagons in resin, that where based off two door or four door model kits, I bought the '70 Country Squire and '73 Kingswood.

http://www.modelhaus.com/

These kits are AWESOME, no flaws what so ever. Everything is neatly packed, all the lines on the car are clear and sharp, and the wagons come with the correct wood grain decals.

But the two kits did not come with the roof racks. So this is where your question comes in Norman. For the racks, I am using Evergreen strip styrene. You can find them at most hobby stores. They come in all types of shapes, lengths, widths, so on and so forth.

I looked at the pics on here, for clamshell pics for my '73 and since I have the same roof rack on my '77 Country Squire, finding pics for my '70 CS kit wasnt hard at all.

As for shaping the plastic, its not that hard at all (so far). I used a half round strip for my clamshell rack. To make the correct bends, I used a small glue gun about the size of your palm, the really cheep and small ones. I let it warm up and also made sure it was clean from any glue or anthing that would stick to the plastic. Then I used a ruler to mark my bends, slowly worked the plastic to the angle I wanted and presto, you have a 1/25th scale clamshell roof rack.

As for the strips on the roof, that was easy. I just eye balled it for the widith of strip plastic I needed, then mesured the width aprt and glued in place. The chrome for the strips will be chrome foiled, while the rack will be painted Alkad ( I think I spelled that right) crome paint.

I have yet to start the '70 CS becouse I have been busy with a few other projects and my work it self limites my time. But I will put up some pics as soon as I can on the '73 Kingswood and '70 Country Squire.

Jonny

5. Stormin' Norman

Wagon Garage:
    Good stuff! I used to own a clock factory and we'd make model shapes out of the old 'kitchen table art' of papier mache. Then we'd make mock ups in wood and then we'd kick it around with the factory team (47 people). Best way to get the bugs out with everybody onside. Then we'd make real ones for the employees to take home and get some feedback from their families. Then, we'd make the jigs and fixtures. Some of our big routers were CNC machines from Italy.

But I started with my dad's autowind 1954 Rolex, at 8 years old. I still feel the twinges from my dad's belt on my butt. :rofl2:

Love doing detail work like that. The whole world gets locked away somewhere else.

6. FordWagonNut1979

Well I build model cars now for a mix of things, for the love of the full size car it's modeled after, since I can't have all these cars at once, I can have them in a much smaller scale, and it keeps my patience in check.....

When I was in college, I would pop in a Doobie Brothers 8 track, start or continue with a model and get lost for a few hours.....

7. Stormin' Norman

Wagon Garage:
    So what's the 'model' garage look like? :evilsmile: Yeah, I like quiet hobbies too. The pause that refreshes. :)(y)

8. FordWagonNut1979

Wow, um, I would say, it looks like FoMoCo, GM, Chrysler, and a few other car companies puked up a mini version of Detroit. I have stacks and stacks of AMT/MPC, Monorgram/Revell, Jo Han, Polor Lights, Lindburg, kits from the 1960s though the very early 1990s.

Also promo models from the 60s-80s, HO scale and Matchbox size cars.....but most of my bulk are geared for 1/24th & 1/25th scales, from 1965-1979 models.

Going with the model "bug", I have collected sales catologs, flyers, print promos, dealer signs, and anything to deal with cars/trucks from about the mid 60s till early 1980s. I also have an odd assortment of factory 8 track tape decks and the demo tapes that came with the car.

I was lucky to get into the hobby when I did. The model club and model makers where having the last big "umph" before the bottom dropped out in the last few years. The people in the club I belong to where very generious to me when I was 12-15 years old, I was sold rare kits well under the market value. I have never sold one, nor do I ever intend to. I have kits I bought when I was even younger, that I have yet to put together.

Its really sad to see this hobby not picking up anyone in the gen "Y" group. I mean there might be one or two that drop in but people have changed. Its a "instant" world now. You go to Wal Mart, all the cars now are painted and ready to go.