1969 Chevrolet Kingswood Estate

Discussion in 'Station Wagon Auctions, Craigs List and Other Stat' started by jwdtenn, Aug 8, 2014.

1. jwdtenn

jwdtenn Well-Known Member

OMG - you want $45,000 and don't include any photos!? :rofl2:

http://www.hemmings.com/classifieds/carsforsale/chevrolet/caprice/1671729.html

It does sound incredible!

Description: CHEVROLET: 1969 Caprice Kingswood Estate 3rd seat wagon, fully loaded, pfdb, ps, power rear tailgate window, dual action tailgate, Comfortron a/c, pw, power vacuum door locks (that work), original black interior, stock condition, tilt, 8-track, butternut yellow, factory sport hubcaps w/crossflag, new tires, very rare made in Canada example, $45,000 firm, no trades. 206-979-5089, WA.
    Price: $45,000

(Stock GM advertising photo from 1969 below - not the actual car for sale, but same color.)

[​IMG]

Last edited: Aug 8, 2014
  2. jlckmj

jlckmj Active Member

Wagon Garage:
    It would have to have less than 1,000 miles and kept in a climate controlled bubble to be worth that kind of money. (maybe not even then)

Jim

3. 72KingswoodEstate

72KingswoodEstate Well-Known Member

Wagon Garage:
    GM must have had some leftover Impala wheel covers from '68. Those are '68 Impala hubcaps on a '69 Caprice wagon. :)

4. jwdtenn

So true!!!! Here are the correct 1969 Caprice wheel covers! The other must be a very early 1969 ad!

[​IMG]

5. snooterbuckets

snooterbuckets Well-Known Member

I noticed that as well. Kind of weird they'd have the wrong wheel cover on their marketing picture, but maybe it was a very early one and they weren't sure what the '69 covers were going to be.

Attached Files:

6. jwdtenn

7. jwdtenn

I found this photo on Bing images. I think it has to be the same wagon with different wheels and tires.

[​IMG]

8. cammerjeff

cammerjeff Longroofs Rule!

Its not so much as they have left over parts from the prior year in the early sales brochures. It more common for the cars in the early editions are prototypes or preproduction cars, and many of the features of the final designs or either not set, or no available yet.

The largest difference I have in my collection is an early 1970 Pontiac Brochure that lists the OHC-6 Sprint Package still available on the 1970 T-37 and Lemans Models. When the engine was dropped on late July of 1969 due to cost issues, and the OHV Chevy I-6 was the six cylinder engine choice.

Not unusual to see early brochures with pictures showing incorrect wheel or hub cap's or even different Model Badges or placement than the actual production cars got. Remember back then it took weeks to get something printed and distributed, not to mention the time it took to get the brocures approved internally. So those pictures would be taken at least 6 months before production cars actually came off the lines.

9. Krash Kadillak

Krash Kadillak Well-Known Member

Wagon Garage:
    The 'wood grain delete' method would be to order a Kingswood wagon instead of a Kingswood Estate.
    And this one definitely has nameplates on the quarter that say 'Kingswood Estate', plus it still has the surround trim that would go around the wood grain. Sooooo...this one used to have the wood grain. It wasn't 'deleted' from the factory.

10. The Premier

The Premier Well-Known Member

Wagon Garage:
    Spot on cammerjeff, this would be exactly what would have happened. I think that this procedure in that era would have taken months and months to complete and I wouldn't be surprised if some of it even started perhaps up to a year out in some cases. If this was the case, then some of this detail would definitely go unnoticed along the way, that is until some enthusiasts on a forum point it out some 4 decades later.

Same thing used to happen here in Australia too. A little off topic I know but here is well known (to Aussie car enthusiasts) picture from a press release of the ill fated Australian Leyland P76 program's 2 door cousin "the Force 7". These never made it into production because the P 76 was cancelled before it could make it so there were only a small number of pre-production models at their disposal to photograph like this one that was used for a photo for this promo shot for a car magazine. Although it was only a prototype, note the crease in the front fender at the point of the nose clip from the factory. This would have been photo shopped out these days though.
    [​IMG]

Attached Files:

11. 72KingswoodEstate

Wagon Garage:
    What is even more interesting is that those are 1969 Impala hubcaps on that wagon. They must have had an overstock. lol. Seems to be a lot of factory '69 Caprice wagons with those hubcaps, but here are '69 Caprice sedan hubcaps which are on the '69 Caprice wagon and sedan below. My '69 Caprice sedan had hubcaps like the green one in the pic below. I then looked up a '70 Caprice wagon and they had 70 Impala hubcaps and then seen 68 Caprice hubcaps on a 69 Caprice wagon. Hmm??

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

'69 Caprice sedan below with '68 Caprice hubcaps (factory photo)

[​IMG]

12. pyasher

pyasher Well-Known Member

Maybe for 45k the blonde comes with it?

13. 72KingswoodEstate

Wagon Garage:
    Yeah and all of her great grand-children. :biglaugh:

14. jwdtenn

Ha-ha!!!!!!!!!!!!!

15. pyasher