1969 Chevrolet Caprice

Discussion in 'Station Wagon Auctions, Craigs List and Other Stat' started by jwdtenn, Dec 29, 2013.

1. jwdtenn

jwdtenn Well-Known Member

2. MikeT1961

MikeT1961 Well-Known Member

She's a real beauty, and I love that it is a small block. I would be very tempted to add the hide away headlamps, though.

3. 72KingswoodEstate

72KingswoodEstate Well-Known Member

Wagon Garage:
    That is a nice car!!

I miss my '69 Caprice 4dr hardtop sedan... this is what I sold (perfect running car) around 2007 when I bought my piece of crap wagon a couple of months later. lol.

It was a very high optioned car. A/C, power windows, power locks, tilt, FM radio, vinyl top, 396, turbo automatic, front disc power brakes, power steering, lighting package, hide-away headlights with washers, power trunk release and more. That car was so solid, didn't have one rattle! Sadly, I sold it for $2200. :( It needed restoration, but it had a rust free frame, floors and trunk pans were perfect and it ran like a top! Then I paid $4000 for my junker wagon. ;)

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

4. Krash Kadillak

Krash Kadillak Well-Known Member

Wagon Garage:
    You might have been able to get close to $2,200 for the hide-away light setup by itself........

5. 72KingswoodEstate

Wagon Garage:
    Ugh, don't tell me that! lol! Makes me sick just thinking about it! :slap:

The guy that bought it originally wanted it for parts for his '69 Impala 2dr coupe. When he drove the car, he was amazed at how smooth and how tight the car was and said there was no way he was going to part it out. When he brought me my tires back he bought them in the Caprice and he had already started restoring it. He had removed the vinyl top, primered it, removed the worn out carpeting, etc. I never heard from him again, I hope the restoration continued.

I have yet to find another '69 Caprice sedan with power windows AND power door locks.

6. Krash Kadillak

Wagon Garage:
    Yeah - that would have been about the highest-optioned Caprice you could get. (What didn't it have?) Sunroofs/moonroofs were not available back then from the factory on most vehicles. No factory alloy wheels back then for any big Chevys, AFAIK. Buckets/console were only available on the 2-drs. There was some other small stuff like that wierd 'liquid tire chain' option, etc.....

7. 72KingswoodEstate

Wagon Garage:
    lol. Yeah the only few options that were available on these that I could find that the car lacked were - fender skirts, front fender light monitors, cruise control, 427 engine, auto-climate control and I THINK someone once told me there was an additional warning light option on these (which had door open/low fuel, etc). Other than that... nothing else. It had all of the important options at least.

8. MotoMike

MotoMike Well-Known Member

I remember the "added warning light" option too but forget what GM called it. Those '69's were about the best Caprices in my opinion.

9. 72KingswoodEstate

Wagon Garage:
    I believe they called it "auxiliary" lighting package, but there must have been a second version of it, as my car had the trunk light, etc, but not the dash warning lights. Here is the '69 full-size options list. Also a few more my car lacked was litter container, power seat, speed alert, automatic level control, bumper guards, rear defog (but my car was a southern car, so rear defog/defrost was rare back then) to mention a few... these cars had TONS of options available. Oh yeah, my car had dual exhaust as well!

I agree... the '69-'70 had the highest quality interior it seems, with a lot of padding... even the A-pillar trim was padded! My doors closed with a solid thunk... I miss my Caprice! lol.

[​IMG]

Here is the brochure version of mine... strange that this one has the '68 Caprice hubcaps. Maybe this was in late '68 and they just showed the '68 hubcaps on it...

[​IMG]

10. 72KingswoodEstate

Wagon Garage:
    Yep, a lot of options available on these... see post above!

11. batcar

batcar New Member

Wagon Garage:
    da3ce9a7826ccc996cf5abb70e4390d2.jpg
    I love the look of this 69 SS 427, I wouldn't change a thing, even the incorrect hidden headlights.

12. Krash Kadillak

Wagon Garage:
    I was wondering about that....
    According to the brochure, the hidden headlamps option was available only on the Caprice models, although if you really begged them they might throw them on a SS model..... And they could always be added later if you buy the parts.....

13. batcar

batcar New Member

Wagon Garage:
    That's what I would have done :thumbs2:

14. MotoMike

MotoMike Well-Known Member

I remember the dr's wife in the neighborhood had a '68 Impala SS conv, the beautiful Fathom blue, white top, 427..........and it had the hide a way headlights. The SS427 forum says that it was not available on Impalas but might have been a special order, they did a lot of that back in the day apparently. Beautiful car.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sTW0wqua6WA

Last edited: Dec 31, 2013
  15. Xenon

Xenon Well-Known Member

Uhmm,, Mike... It is a BIG block...... :yahoo: