Station Wagon Forums  

Go Back   Station Wagon Forums > Station Wagon Classifieds > Station Wagons & Parts for Sale

Notices

Old 2008-05-25, 21:24 PM   #1
autotronic

Vehicle(s): What don't I drive is a better question. My current favorite, in my fleet, is my 1969 Rambler 440 SW
Price: $6500   Location: Southern California   
Selling My 1969 Mercury Colony Park Station Wagon

Before I list it on eBay, I am going to let everyone here know first that I'm selling my 10-passenger 1969 429 2V-powered 1969 Colony Park station wagon. I bought it last fall in Little Rock, Arkansas, drove it to New York then to Florida for a story that appeared in the UK title Classic American, and will appear in my own publication Automotive Traveler at some point in the future.

After I shipped the car back to California, I had to replace the exhaust manifold which required a lot of labor as the mechanic, who warned me that there was a good possibility that the stud would break off, which it did, thus a $500 repair became $1,000. All I am trying to do is get what I have out, what I have in the car, which is $6,500. I will put it on eBay with a Buy It Now/reserve of $7,000.

You can view photos of the car at:

http://www.farrellonline.com/Waggon/69Waggon.html

These are the same photos that the last seller had posted, from which I bought the car from.

In addition you can view the photos I took of the car on the trip as well as PDFs of the Classic American story as well as the preliminary layout that will appear in Automotive Traveler. Here's the link:

http://imageevent.com/mmm_mag/1969mercurycolonyparknj2fl

You will find a downloadable copy of the car's Marti report at that link.

Everything works on the car, including the A/C which blows cold, with the exception of the radio and clock. There is a leak on the top of the gas tank which was there when I bought the car; on the trip I simply filled it up just to 3/4 of a tank. It averaged 12.9 MPG on the 3,000-mile trip last fall.

It's a really solid, complete Colony Park with just minimal rust in the usual places like the lower rear quarter panels (visible in the original set of photos) and in the bottom of the third row seat compartment due to the fact that it will need new rubber seals around the fully operational 3-way tailgate. The Di-Noc wood is faded as the photos show and will need to be replaced. There are multiple dings on the stainless steel trim that frames the "wood" as the photos indicate.

I never titled the car here in California and have driven it less than 1,000 miles since it arrived here. The odometer indicates 25523 miles which based on the overall condition of the car would represent 125523 miles overall. It will need a tune up and possibly some carburetor work. It shifts strongly with just a bit of hesitation on the 2-3 shift but it is better now than when I bought it. I think the 4,000 mile drive helped things in this regard.

If I don't get my price I'll list it on eBay and if it doesn't meet my reserve there, I'll put it in storage. I don't have to sell it and in reality, do want to keep it but I am in one of those "simplify my life" modes and selling this car and one of my two Fieros will go a long way towards achieving that goal.

As the photos show this is a complete, well-preserved example of a car that represents the apogee of the American station wagon. A car similar to mine sold last fall on eBay for $13,000 although it was a 390 V8, not a 429 like mine but I would say was in near mint condition with much better wood.

If anyone is seriously interested in the car I invite you to contact me off-list so that we can exchange phone numbers. The car is currently located in Sun City, California, near Temecula, between Los Angeles and San Diego. I will not be listing the car on eBay before Wednesday so if you're looking for a well-documented classic station wagon that is truly ready to drive (the proof is in the photos, Shelly's set as well as my own), here's your opportunity. I paid a fair price for it, have done the main mechanical fix, and now am only trying to get out what I have invested in the car, which is $6,500.

Richard Truesdell
Sun City, CA
autotronic@aol.com
autotronic is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links

Station Wagon Forums > Station Wagon Classifieds > Station Wagons & Parts for Sale