Life Changes in Texas

Discussion in 'Station Wagon Lounge' started by 81X11, Oct 18, 2012.

1. 81X11

81X11 Well-Known Member

Wagon Garage:
    Have not been on the forum much lately and since most of ya'll know me pretty well, I thought I'd share what's going on. Very off topic, but didn't want ya'll to think I'd run off.

I have a close friend going through a bad marraige seperation right now. It's someone I've know since I was 16, and I'm pushing 40 now. She's been out of state a while job-hunting, and her soon-to-be ex-husband has been out of work for a long time now too. Well they lost their home last week. I got the call to ask if I could could keep their kids for....a while.

I've known these kids all their lives, and they are great kids. There pics have appeared on here before with my rambling stories. We've taken them on numerous trips with us, spent many holidays and weekends with them, and my kids love them a lot. This is a bad situation, and is not their fault. After a long heart-to-heart with my wife, we assumed custody and signed guardianship papers last week. So in addition to my 4-year-old and 10-year-old sons, I now have a 12-year-old girl, and 14 and 17-year old boys in my home. Five kids, wow.

I spent half the day Friday and part of the day Monday getting them enrolled for school here, and it's amazing the amount of paperwork you have to notarize to do all this.

All last weekend was spent moving my youngest son in with the my older boy. We gave Lily my younger sons room, and converted the sunporch on the back of our house into a room for the boys. I took all their clothes to a laundromat Saturday night, and have been putting together new beds, desks, setting up computers, and re-arranging closets to make everyone fit in our home.

Yesterday was Lily's birthday, and we gave her a big one at a local park. First time I've really seen her have fun since this all happened. The kids are still getting settled but are finally in good spirits. My wife and I are slowly getting in the swing of having so many kiddos in the house.
    I tell you I was numb last week when all this came about, but am starting to adjust a little now.

I don't know how long we'll have them. It may be a long time. My car-project funds are gone for the near future, but kids are more important than toys. I'll be checking in when I can.

Life is never boring folks!

-Mike

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. Fat Tedy

Fat Tedy Island Red Neck

Mike, you and your honey have the bigest :tiphat:(y)(y)(y)(y)(y)(y)(y)(y)I have ever given anyone

(y)(y)(y)x3

3. jrwscout

jrwscout New Member

Wagon Garage:
    Those kids are very lucky to have you in their lives. Best of luck to all of you. Your karma bank just got a huge deposit - good for you!

4. 87customcruiser

87customcruiser Member

Being a school bus driver, I see kids in bad situations way too often. I admire you for stepping up to help these children. I wish you, your family, and your new extended family the very best.

5. jaunty75

jaunty75 Middling Member

Yes, let me add to all the others. You and your wife are definitely destined for the kingdom of heaven.

6. jaunty75

jaunty75 Middling Member

And, hey, at least you've got a car big enough to carry everyone around in!

7. Krash Kadillak

Krash Kadillak Well-Known Member

Wagon Garage:
    Mike, that is indeed an admirable thing to do.

Coming from a 'blended' family though, I caution you to be aware of problems with the kids when they come across different expectations that what they were used to. Had a heck of a time getting used to my step-mother, who was quite different from my birth mother.

Keep a close watch on the older ones, and keep the lines of communication open.

8. 1tireman

1tireman Well-Known Member

Wagon Garage:
    Thank goodness for wagons :rofl2:Thank goodness for people like you and your wife, truely a insperation! :thumbs2:

9. MotoMike

MotoMike Well-Known Member

Mike.....I'm flabbergasted.....and also in awe that your family would take on such a huge responsibility. Just the mental picture rates a :thumbs2::thumbs2::thumbs2::thumbs2::thumbs2: in my book!

Briscoe Darling may have said it best, "Sheriff, your haircut may be all city-fied but your heart was shaped in a bowl." :tiphat:

10. ModelT1

ModelT1 Still Lost in the 50's

Wagon Garage:
    Mike you and your wife are a great caring couple. This is going to be a big job for both of you, and all of the kids. Good luck to you all.
    We took in our first grandson at five days and ended up becoming foster parents. Next thing we knew we adopted him. That was only one extra kid. Our daughter was the only one left of our three at home so it wasn't much of an extra chore.
    This happens way too much now days. Usually with grandparents taking unwanted children. This is not a case of not wanting them. But sometimes parents have no choice. Your friends are lucky to have such great friends.
    Wagons are for families. Yours will get well used.

11. fannie

fannie Well-Known Member

Wagon Garage:
    You and your wife are difinately heros to these kids and their parents.

This has got to be so difficult for everyone involved. Your family adjusting to sharing everything. Their family adjusting to everything being different. I hope the other parents will be able to be in contact with their kids for everyones sake. How difficult it must have been to come to this decision.
    I wish you and your wife strength, you are going to need it. But I couldn't imagine a better family for these kids to have come into.
    Oh yeah hide the car keys that 17yr old, does he drive yet?:D

Hang in there, we'll be here if you need help with teenagers. And that sweet girl in the middle of all those boys...yipe good luck.:)

12. wagonmaster

wagonmaster Administrator Staff Member Moderator

Wagon Garage:
    That is an amazing thing that you have done :)

13. fannie

fannie Well-Known Member

Wagon Garage:
    How's your grandmom WM?

14. wagonmaster

wagonmaster Administrator Staff Member Moderator

Wagon Garage:
    Much stronger. She has a checkup on Monday and I hope it all goes well.

15. fannie

fannie Well-Known Member

Wagon Garage:

Excellent, is she at home?